Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Had protected sex and still used plan B. Am I being irrational?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Had protected sex and still used plan B. Am I being irrational?
mossyzinc
Neophyte
Member # 110111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mossyzinc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last Saturday (4/12), I had protected sex with my boyfriend and he finished inside. The condom didn't break or slip, but a few hours later, I realized that he'd left that condom in his (hot) car for the past few days, which I know is a huge no-no. I immediately ran to a pharmacy for a consultation and the pharmacist told me that, as long as the condom stayed intact, I should be fine. BF also insisted that he had kept it in a "cool place" in his hot car.

However, the paranoia was real, so I ended up taking Plan B on Monday anyway (about 50 hours later). It's been about four days and I'm experiencing the regular side effects -- nausea, bloating, hunger, and above all, exhaustion. (No cramps or breast tenderness or spotting, though. Yet.)

I've never been on any form of hormonal contraception before, so my body's clearly unhappy with me, but I'm still worried out of my mind. See, I've had irregular periods ever since I started menstruating almost 7 years ago, so it's usually impossible for me to know when I'm ovulating. My last cycle started in the middle of March, the one before that was at the beginning of February, the one before that was at the end of December, and before that, I skipped FOUR MONTHS due to stress.

I guess what I need right now is objective advice regarding if I'm just torturing myself by imagining the consequences of pregnancy even after I used a condom and took EC. One of my more "experienced" friends has been telling me to take deep breaths and calm down, but it's hard. Also, if anyone could give me an accurate rundown about the likelihood of "microtears" in condoms, that would be great.

Thanks! (This turned out a lot longer than I expected. Sorry.)

[ 04-18-2014, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: mossyzinc ]

--------------------
Something good will come from all of this.

Posts: 3 | From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to Scarleteen, mossyzinc!

Microtears in condoms are not a thing. When a condom is damaged (such as from being exposed to extreme temperatures), it will break. And when a condom breaks, you'll notice.

So, if the condom you used did not break, that means that you lucked out and the condom did its job.

However, in the future, you can save yourself the worry and just make sure to always have condoms at hand that have been stored properly and are well away from the expiration date.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9186 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mossyzinc
Neophyte
Member # 110111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mossyzinc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the quick response (and sorry for my late one)!

Today, it's been 5 days since I took EC and I just noticed some light-pink spotting when I wiped after going to the bathroom. Like I said, my cycles are really irregular, but I was expecting to have a period within the next week or so.

This is normal, right?

Posts: 3 | From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep: spotting and irregular bleeding are a very common side effect of taking EC.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

Posts: 9186 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mossyzinc
Neophyte
Member # 110111

I just wanted to post an update regarding what's happened since I asked this question. I got my "Plan B period" 5 days after taking EC; it was a lighter flow than usual, but was a normal length (4-5 days) and arrived around the time that my normal period should have come. Today, 23 days after the original risk, I finally bought and took a HPT that turned out negative. I've got another test that I'll probably take in a few days just to make extra sure, but for now, I think I can safely assume that I'm NOT pregnant.

Thanks for everything. I'll definitely be more careful in the future.

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

You are so welcome! Glad t hear you're feeling better. [Smile]

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.