Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Iud

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Iud
Ohsoanxious
Neophyte
Member # 101608

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ohsoanxious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

I had a copper iud fitted in February as I am in a stable relationship and we were not convinced on the sole effectiveness of condoms alone for a lengthy period of time, we both wanted something with no hormones and no hassle.

My question is regarding my period. I had my first period on the iud come about 4 days late, but it came and that was that.
This cycle, for April I should have had my period a week ago yesterday, but there's no sign of it.
I'm usually pretty regular so it's starting to worry me alot. We continued to use condoms for the first 4 weeks after my iud insertion. At my 6 week check up, where the nurse who had been present during the insertion assured me that all was well and it had stayed in place. After the check up, me and my partner had condomless sex, for the we had the information we wanted. I should have come on a week after my check up. Never in my life have I been over a week late and it's still not here. I was on the pill until September last year. From October to feb this year I was using condoms. And my period arrived every four weeks, no more than 2 days over.

It's not fair, I take a stand to have some pretty important contraceptive measures put in place to eliminate mistakes and my body makes me worry like hell over an absent period.

There's no reason for it not to be here, I'm not ill, stressed, dieting etc. I took a test exactly a week late and it read negative. I intend to take another of this continues. My partner says it's probably the coil still adjusting and my body getting used to it. I don't know if I'm sold on that opinion.
I am wondering whether I ovulated late, but that's a pretty random guess too. And still I would have thought it would be here by now.

I'm worried, and would like some advice. I have an appointment mid next week but would like some advice if possible in the meantime so I don't go out of my Mind. Thank you.

Posts: 30 | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say it's very unusual for someone to never have been more than a week late for their period. It's a thing that happens sometimes, to pretty much everyone who has periods.

There are a number of reasons why it might happen, and it can also happen for no apparent reason at all. There's more info here: M.I.A or, Dude, Where's My Period? Additionally, you have recently had something placed in your uterus [Smile]

Given that you've had a check-up since the insertion where everything was fine, I'm not seeing any cause for concern. As you've got an appointment next week anyway, if your period is still missing at that point, it certainly couldn't hurt to ask them to do a double-check.

I know that you've had some anxiety in the past. You mentioned seeing a counsellor - how did that go? Did they give you some techniques that might help you now?

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.