Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » New and confused- sorry!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New and confused- sorry!
silvergirl_sailing_on
Activist
Member # 110025

Icon 5 posted      Profile for silvergirl_sailing_on     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I'm a new member as of today and I have a couple of questions about protocols and rules and guidelines. I've read a lot of the information and FAQs but it's possible I've missed the answers to the questions I'm about to ask- sorry if this is the case.
My first question is: when should I post something on the message boards and when should I post it as a question in the Q&A section of the main site?
My second question is: I have two main issues that I'd like to discuss at the moment but I feel they are separate. Should I post them as two separate topics on the forum (or two separate questions, re my first question) or would this not be in keeping with protocol?
Just reading this site has been so helpful to me already and I don't want to inadvertently get myself banned by accidentally not following protocols. Sorry if maybe I've already broken some rules with this, I'm really not sure!

--------------------
~Ciara

"Sail on silver girl, sail on by. Your time has come to shine, all your dreams are on their way."

Posts: 40 | From: Scotland | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi silvergirl and welcome to the boards [Smile]

Thanks for reading our info first! You can choose whether you want to ask something on the message boards or in the Q&A section. The Q&A section is the advice column part of the site, so it works like advice columns usually do: people send in questions, and the people answering choose which questions to turn into a column. The Q&A might be suitable for people who'd like one long, detailed answer and who are comfortable waiting weeks for it or possibly not having it answered at all.

On the boards, we answer within 24 hours (often sooner), so they can be a good choice if you'd like help and guidance more quickly, if you have a simple question that only needs a brief answer, or if you'd like to have a back-and-forth discussion with us.

It's up to you whether you'd like to put the two topics in different threads or the same. If they're at all related, it'll probably work out better to have them in the same conversation, but if not, it's really up to you.

(By the way, we're really not ban-happy! People who make honest mistakes with us will be just fine [Smile] Recently we had a bunch of people who really seriously misused our services and were unpleasant to us, and that's what I think you've read about. I'm sure you can understand why we're not standing for that, both for our own sakes and that of all of you.)

If you opt for the message boards, it's fine to continue with your question/s in this thread, if you like.

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1746 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
silvergirl_sailing_on
Activist
Member # 110025

Icon 1 posted      Profile for silvergirl_sailing_on     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much for the quick reply! Didn't expect to hear back so quickly. That all makes sense to me, thank you. I just didn't want to mess up before I even got started. I'll have a think about where my questions would be most suitably placed and get to it. They aren't extremely urgent so I'll probably try to get used to finding the right place for them within the topics. Glad to hear about the ban thing, I did get the impression it was to do with specific misuse of the site but I still didn't want to misuse it by accident either. Thank you!

--------------------
~Ciara

"Sail on silver girl, sail on by. Your time has come to shine, all your dreams are on their way."

Posts: 40 | From: Scotland | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No worries! We do have an occasional troll invasion, or spat of users who just will not respect limits. And then we gotta put our collective feet down.

But if you're neither of those, it's all good, and no need for concern. [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68080 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.