Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Can you have a period during pregnancy?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can you have a period during pregnancy?
Juliadawson
Neophyte
Member # 109825

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Juliadawson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The possibility of not having any symptoms of pregnancy and having a normal period while still being pregnant scares me a lot. I read this at a website called doctorslounge.com, said by a doctor as an answer to a girl:
"Hello,
It is possible to have a period after you become pregnant. Most women who do report that it is not quite like a normal period - perhaps lighter or shorter. This is usually due to implantation bleeding as the placenta attaches. You can repeat the pregnancy test to be sure but positive usually means just that unless there is a miscarriage. This is also a possibility if the period was heavy. It is believed that a number of miscarriages occur before the women even realizes she is pregnant. Again, repeating the test would be the best thing to do.

Best wishes. "
I wanted to ask how this is possible. I'm pretty sure if you get your "period" during pregnancy it's not your period, just bleeding of some sort correct? If that is the case, can it really be mistaken by a period? If I bled enough to fill pads for 4 days and then just a little for on or two more days (this is how my period usually is) can it be some sort of pregnancy bleeding?
Or the "periods" these women experience are just light spotting?

Posts: 21 | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Julia,

You are correct that you cannot have a period and be pregnant. Implantation bleeding is a different thing, experienced by a minority of women who get pregnant, and it will not look, feel, or last nearly as long as a period.

Also, please give this a read:
http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/14/t/000378.html

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As we have noted on the boards, we really need to put a kibbosh on folks bringing us questions about something on different websites: http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/14/t/000378.html

We've already addressed this issue many times on the boards and on the main site. Same goes with talking about "these women," when we have no idea who you are talking about or who these people are. If someone is reporting something about their experience you are not sure about or have questions about, it's them you want to ask. [Smile]

This piece is a good place to start: http://www.scarleteen.com/article/advice/the_period_during_pregnancy_misunderstanding

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juliadawson
Neophyte
Member # 109825

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Juliadawson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay thanks a lot! And I'm really sorry, I didn't know that and I'll try to not repeat this mistake. I'm pretty new to the website... And thanks for the links, I'll take a look on all of those!
Posts: 21 | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juliadawson
Neophyte
Member # 109825

Hey so I read those links, but I still have a couple of questions.
1) How common are these vaginal bleedings that can be confused with a period while a woman is pregnant?

2) How can I differentiate any of these of a regular period?

3) Are these usually accompanied by other pregnancy symptoms, and are pregnancy symptoms contant? (like, nausea everyday or just a couple of days in a week; constant breast tenderness or only once in a while...?)

Thanks!

Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is more common for there to be NO bleeding when a person is pregnant than there is to be any bleeding.

It is highly unlikely that any bleeding during pregnancy would resemble an ordinary period: about the same amount, around when a period was expected, and lasting for about the same amount of time.

For most people, the first indication that they might be pregnant is a missed period. "Pregnancy symptoms" may or may not occur, are different for each person, and all have a number of other common causes that have nothing to do with pregnancy. Chicken Soup for the Pregnancy Symptom Freakout's Soul explains in more detail.

For anyone who has had a pregnancy risk, the way to know if you're pregnant or not is to take a pregnancy test.

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juliadawson
Neophyte
Member # 109825

Okay thanks for your help [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.