Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » should i be worried?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: should i be worried?
gapens
Neophyte
Member # 110012

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gapens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had the Implanon for 3 years. Had it taken out and a new one put in 3 months ago. I had protected sex during the limbo time (the week when the old Implanon was out &before they put the new one in)& unprotected sex after the new one was put in ... I know how unlikely it is to get pregnant while on Implanon... but it still worries me because I've been having period symptoms last month and this month but no actual period

--------------------
JustBreathe

Posts: 3 | From: iowa | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi gapens,

One of the side effects of implanon is that it may cause periods to be irregular or to stop entirely. So that may be what's happening here. How soon after having the new on inserted did you have unprotected sex?

Beyond that, if you are concerned about pregnancy, then the sound thing to do is take a pregnancy test.

Also, are you and the partner you had unprotected sex with up to date on your STI tests?

[ 04-07-2014, 06:03 PM: Message edited by: Sam W ]

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gapens
Neophyte
Member # 110012

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gapens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well when I had my old Implanon I had periods so that never changed for me & we had unprotected sex a few days-a week after I got the new Implanon inserted...
Yes we are up to date on our STI tests, thank you

--------------------
JustBreathe

Posts: 3 | From: iowa | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As with other hormonal BC, sometimes you may get a side effect that you had not previously had. It's generally reccomended that you wait two weeks before using the implant alone as a contraceptive method, so that may have potentially decreased the efficacy.

If you've missed more than two periods, it's sound to check-in with a healthcare provider, just to rule out any other causes of the missing period besides the implant.

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gapens
Neophyte
Member # 110012

Ok thank you for your fast reply and help!!!

--------------------
JustBreathe

Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

You're welcome [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.