Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Late conception

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Late conception
CuriousCole
Neophyte
Member # 109973

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CuriousCole     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay scarleteen, here I am. For days I've been researching ovulation conception fertilization, fertile days and so on and have not been able to find the answer to this one question. Is it possible to have intercourse 2 days before your period, have your period and still be pregnant? This all being in the idea a girl possibly has a luteal phase defect and could possibly ovulate a day before her period. So in the case this did happen and an egg was fertilized 1 day before your period would it be possible to have a period and still be pregnant?
Posts: 8 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi cole,

First of, what kind of contraception was used during the incident in question?

To answer your question, I am going to quote from this article: http://www.scarleteen.com/article/advice/what_do_you_want_to_know_about_periods_and_sex

"Because a period has you shedding the lining needed for a fertilized egg to implant in, and because around the time a period starts, there usually is not an egg available to be fertilized, it would be very unusual to become pregnant with timing like this. When you get your period after a risk- so long as it comes around the time you expected it and looks and feels like your usual period -- it's usually safe to assume pregnancy did not or is not going to occur from that risk.

[ 04-03-2014, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: Sam W ]

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CuriousCole
Neophyte
Member # 109973

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CuriousCole     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was dry humping with fluid contact. The reason I'm asking is because I've seen sometimes some woman ovulate twice in a month and the second time can occur or has days before their period. So in the scenario lets say a woman did ovulate twice, I know the odds are slim, and semen did somehow find it's way to the tubes. Would it even be possible for fertilization to occur 1 day before the period, have the fertilized egg stay in the tubes for the longest period of 12 days, have the period and then the egg be able to implant after the period.
Posts: 8 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are referring to dry humping where at least one person had clothes on, then there was no risk of pregnancy.

When you say you've seen a woman ovulate twice in one month, what do you mean, exactly? Was this someone who was charting their cycles carefully? That is something that can occur, but someone would have to be charting in order to know it had.

You may also want to give this a read:
Human Reproduction: A Seafarer's Guide

[ 04-03-2014, 08:42 PM: Message edited by: Sam W ]

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CuriousCole
Neophyte
Member # 109973

The charting was not done i was just curious about in that scenario
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know that we can say the scenario you're describing could never happen at all, in the entirety of human history. Is it at all likely? No. I think what Sam quoted above, the part that says
quote:
"When you get your period after a risk- so long as it comes around the time you expected it and looks and feels like your usual period -- it's usually safe to assume pregnancy did not or is not going to occur from that risk."
is the thing to keep in mind here.
Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CuriousCole
Neophyte
Member # 109973

Thanks for the reassurance guys👍
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

You're quite welcome

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.