Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Condom size problem

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Condom size problem
afrojunk
Activist
Member # 104756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for afrojunk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hello,

I have a question regarding condoms. I want to use condoms actually everytime me and my girlfriend have sex, but after a while the condoms begins to irritate the vagina of my girlfriend. I actually do not know how to solve this. We think that it is not a problem that she is not wet enough, because we also tried to use lubricant.

I wanted to try a smaller condom, but that it tore apart actually. The thing is that my penis becomes a little bit wider to balls (little traingular way). I am thinking about buying bigger condoms because on the internet i found a guide on to measure your condom size and it said 64mm, but that is at the base. At the top it is around 59mm i believe. At the moment we use a 56mm standard durex condom and it is already tight.

Do you have some advice for me, because i don't waste a big load of money on trying to find a fitting condom?

Posts: 55 | From: Holland | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Condom size is more relevant to the size of someone's penis than it is to someone's vagina. Condoms are supposed to fit snugly on the penis without being uncomfortable.

A small number of people do have latex allergies. Has your girlfriend checked for that? If she hasn't, a simple way of finding out is for her to wear a latex glove for around 20 minutes. If she has a reaction to that, she may be allergic to latex, in which case she and any partner simply use non-latex condoms. If she's fine with a latex glove, latex isn't the problem.

While you and she are having sex, is it always feeling good for her and she still really wants to have that kind of sex the whole time? Soreness can happen, and is a normal reaction, if someone is not or is no longer aroused enough or really into the sex they're having.

A good rule of thumb is to try lubricant, and then try More lubricant. Have you and she used lots of lubricant, from the very beginning of sex? Lubricant will help a lot less once someone already feels sore or uncomfortable.

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also want to add that the "female" or inside condom might be a great option for you, because it is a wider sheath, all around, than any male condom is, and the ring of that condom does not need to be held on your penis. They are also nonlatex, so if your girlfriend does have a latex sensitivity, that would sort that out, too.

I do not know about the current availability of these in Holland, but I can certainly do some research for you to find out, if you would like.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
afrojunk
Activist
Member # 104756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for afrojunk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
that would be great actually and we have heard about it but never knew exactly how it works. if it would help, it would be great and we shall try more lubricant.

is still, with given measures in first post, it good to get a bigger condom?

Posts: 55 | From: Holland | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will look into that for you today!

Trying a condom with a wider ring size, on top of using lubricant generously, also sounds like two good next steps.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
afrojunk
Activist
Member # 104756

Okay i talked about it with her and she thinks she might want to try the female condom, but wants to look up how it exactly works

Also we talked good about it and she has been using the pill for more than a year and always good. She takes it when going to bed and that is usually at almost the same time. She actually said that she wanted to do it without condom but still always with withdrawal, because it much nicer and i agree; without creates best pleasures. But at the moment, i get a little voice in my head at the end of the month that says 'what if' and that is something i wanna think about, because i dont wanna be in stress at the end of the month

So thats most whats on my mind actually

Heather
Member # 3

Well, she and you can do that right here. [Smile] if you go to the main site, and, in quites, out female condom into the search window on the top right, you will find a few pieces that talk abiut it, including our piece on all barriers which includes directions.

From what I can find, female condoms are available in Holland most places male condoms are. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.