Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Have I changed pills correctly?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Have I changed pills correctly?
Clare00014
Neophyte
Member # 109697

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clare00014         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
I changed my pill a while ago in my pill free week (starting on the monday after my last active pill from the other brand taken on the sunday)but had unprotected sex the saturday of that week (when I started the new pills in my pill free week.) Was I still protected since I'd taken all the pills in my previous packet correctly and started my new pills in the pill-free week? Would taking my new pills in the pill-free week have been enough time for it to be effective on monday after unprotected sex when the protection from my old pills would have stopped? Also, does taking a pill 9 hours late make it any less effective as one of the pills taken in that week was taken 9 hours after my normal time? Thank you [Smile]

[ 02-28-2014, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: Clare00014 ]

Posts: 6 | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unprotected sex is really a term meant to be used about condoms, particularly, so it gets a little tricky used otherwise.

Am I understanding correctly that the only time between one pack of pills and another you had was your placebo week? If so, then you still would have been using a birth control method.

If it's that you skipped a placebo week from your old brand and started a new brand that week, you still would have had the pill's full effectiveness so long as you otherwise take pills properly (which includes taking them on time, and while proper use really means taking them the same time of day, not nine hours apart, with combined pills you do have a 12 hour grace period before a pill is late).

The part where effectiveness becomes an issue with pills is if anyone is skipping or missing active pills or is taking longer than seven days off a pill during the placebo week.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clare00014
Neophyte
Member # 109697

Yes, I missed my placebo week to start the new brand. So the new pill would definitely have been effective after my placebo week and therefore I had no increased risk of pregnancy despite my pill being taken later than usual?

[ 02-28-2014, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: Clare00014 ]

Posts: 6 | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you took the new pills correctly, yep, there is no cause for concern about any interruption in your effectiveness, just like there would not be had you taken the next pack of your previous brand that way.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clare00014
Neophyte
Member # 109697

Okay, thank you for your reassurance [Smile]
Heather
Member # 3

Sure thing. [Smile]

And you're aware, yes, that the pill offers no STI protection, and if you want that, you need to also use condoms and other barriers?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Clare00014
Neophyte
Member # 109697

Yep I'm aware of that- we have both been tested so I know that there is no risk of STIs! Thank you again [Smile]
Heather
Member # 3

Low risk -- never no risk any time any of us are doing the things where STIs can be transmitted, not never, and if you partner has a penis, they can't even be tested for HPV, so -- but great.

Just making sure. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Clare00014
Neophyte
Member # 109697

Hi, I have another quick question, I was sick the other day 12 hours after taking my pill. I assumed it would have been absorbed by then and therefore the pill effectiveness not reduced, is this correct? Just wanted to double check [Smile]
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep! That's enough time for the pill to be absorbed in your body.
Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clare00014
Neophyte
Member # 109697

Cool, just double checking! Thank you for your help [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.