Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Period

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Period
wilcatgirl
Activist
Member # 109425

Icon 3 posted      Profile for wilcatgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just have one quick question of clarification because im confused about one thing. If I get my period, even one day late, does that mean a pregnancy did not take place? So basically if there is blood coming out of my vagina around the time my period is supposed to happen, pregnancy is out of the question?
Posts: 111 | From: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Menstrual periods occur primarily because the body sends signals to itself that it is not pregnant, so it is time to shed that lining. Sometimes there can be spotting or bleeding with a pregnancy, but it generally will not resemble a menstrual period.

Periods really can't be one day "late," because cycles very, very rarely will always be the exact same number or days for people for many months, years, and certainly not for the whole of a reproductive life. Cycles standardly deviate, for most people, by at least a day or two most of the time.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wilcatgirl
Activist
Member # 109425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilcatgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There can be spotting or bleeding with a pregnancy. What if when I pee if it's red and when I wipe there are sometimes dark clumps of blood?
Posts: 111 | From: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Urine comes for a different place than menstrual flow. I assume you do not mean you are seeing blood in your urine?

How long have you had your periods for now? If it has been a few years, you are likely to have a good idea, even when they vary a bit, of what your periods are like. And if it has not happened for you before, yes, sometimes menstrual flow with either contain some more solid bits of that lining, or menstrual flow can kind of clump up with thicker discharge so it can look more solid and less fluid.

But you also know by now that if you are concerned about pregnancy, a pregnancy test or exam is the only way to get that definitive answer. And if you already have that answer but are feeling unable to accept it, then the next sound step is to talk to a healthcare provider about those concerns and this apparent ongoing issue for you.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wilcatgirl
Activist
Member # 109425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilcatgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had my period for 10 years. Why might you be
Asking

wilcatgirl
Activist
Member # 109425

So most likely this bleeding I'm seeing is because a pregnancy didn't happen? I know my mind can be playing game on me but my stomach feels huge and bloaded
Heather
Member # 3

We are not going to keep talking to you about your pregnancy scares, as I have already discussed with you before this. You know by now what we have had to say and have advised for you around all of this.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

wilcatgirl
Activist
Member # 109425

I'm just nervous because I feel big
wilcatgirl
Activist
Member # 109425

I know I come here to talk to you a lot and I question a lot, but it's comfort to me and it helps me. I question a lot because I myself can accidentally mix up what people say so I just wanted to be clear. But if I'm bothering you and your staff I can just be on my way out......
wilcatgirl
Activist
Member # 109425

Can I just ask one more question and then I won't bother you about a pregnancy scare

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.