Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Could I be pregnant?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Could I be pregnant?
shlee
Neophyte
Member # 109666

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shlee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So the other day my boyfriend and I were messing around. No sex, because both of us aren't ready for that and we don't want to risk pregnancy, as I'm not on the pill yet, and I don't trust condoms. I gave him a handjob, but I let him finish. He couldn't though, because his parents were a few room down and it just stopped him from fulling finishing. So he just wiped himself off with a tissue and wiped the precum off his hands with a tissue. And then about 15 minutes later he started touching me. He didn't actually insert a finger inside me, just rubbed me down there. I didn't think to make him wash his hands before he did that. The next day, I felt very nauseous and two days later, I finally threw up. I've still been feeling bad, and my stomach feels tight. Am I just freaking out, or is there a possibility I could be pregnant? I'm scared out of my mind. My period is still 2 weeks away so there's no way for me to really know for sure. Any help would be appreciated.
Posts: 18 | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Shlee,

Can you please take a look at this article and tell me what it says the risks of the behavior you described are?
http://www.scarleteen.com/cgi-bin/forum/ultimatebb.cgi?/ubb/get_topic/f/10/t/002611.html#000000

Also, just so you know, even if someone does do something that results in pregnancy, they would not start seeing symptoms after a few days.

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shlee
Neophyte
Member # 109666

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shlee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to the article, I really have no risk since his hands were dry. And I wasn't sure about the pregnancy symptoms because I read somewhere that they can start as early as the next day after the unprotected sex (even though we didn't have sex). So thank you so much for showing that article and telling me that, because A LOT of pressure has been taken off of my chest. I think the nausea and tightness in my stomach were due to my anxiety, because they're now gone. Now I'll just try to not stress out about it because I know stress can delay periods. Thank you so much!!
Posts: 18 | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're quite welcome! I am glad you found the info reassuring. If you'd like some help with the stress management, this is a good article to have as reference (for all kinds of stressful moments):
Self-Care a La Carte

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shlee
Neophyte
Member # 109666

Hi, it's me again. I'm kind of freaking out because I'm supposed to be getting my period soon, but it isn't coming. I'm getting some of the symptoms, like cramps and back pains, but the blood is MIA. This time last month I was on my period, so that's what I'm basing it on because I have pretty regular periods. I know my situation has really no risk, but I'm still freaking out that maybe I'm that that one in a million case that does get pregnant. I'm trying not to stress too much because I know stress delays periods, but it's really hard. Can you give me anything helpful to calm me down? I would really appreciate it.
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There isn't that one in a million: that person is not real. That's kind of like saying, "Maybe it is ME who is actually Santa Claus!" or

Have you already engaged in self-care to help yourself? If not, take a look here for some options with that: Self-Care a La Carte.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shlee
Neophyte
Member # 109666

I know there is basically no risk, but I'm just really worried because I should have started by now... And I know the symptoms of pregnancy are very similar to that of a period, and knowing that doesn't help.
shlee
Neophyte
Member # 109666

Also, I've been really gassy lately and I know that's a sign of pregnancy.
Jacob at Scarleteen
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 66249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacob at Scarleteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi shlee,

Sadly as you know there isn't a risk, there's not really further that facts, or information we could share, can get you. The rest of the way sounds to me like it could be travelled by doing emotional work.

It sounds to me like it's emotional stuff, not biological stuff (or knowledge about biology) which is getting in the way for you.

Some of this emotional work could mean just sitting with the negative feelings whilst trying to do some of the self care things listed in the article Heather shared (or your own self-care tactics)... That means actually not seeking things that calm you down in the short term, like reassurance or distraction (I'm so guilty of the 2nd one). It could mean attempting to write down, or use art to express the emotional backdrop to all those feelings and worries.

That can be difficult, but what people often say is that they feel like they got somewhere by doing it. I know for me playing music feels like I've processed some of my feelings even if I don't know how it happened.

Of course all of that is difficult, and some of it can be scary, and finding safe spaces to do that introspection can be really handy.

How doable does that sound to you?

Posts: 694 | From: Leeds UK | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shlee
Neophyte
Member # 109666

I'll try. I just don't think I'm going to really calm down until I get my period or get my hands on a pregnancy test, which isn't really likely at the moment.
Jacob at Scarleteen
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 66249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacob at Scarleteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I get that... but it may not be too long.

Maybe not being calm isn't too bad either? Especially if just accepting it for a while helps you take care of yourself and learn more about it. You might be under a bit of extra pressure until you CAN get hold of a pregnancy test or do get your period, but you can also make allowances, knowing

"I'm going to be stressed out, so I shouldn't make as many plans as I usually do and take things a bit easier."

Or the other way, spending time with friends, whatever makes it better for you.

Posts: 694 | From: Leeds UK | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shlee
Neophyte
Member # 109666

Alright, I'll keep that in mind and try to do that. Thank you very much for your patience and help.
ilovecats
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really sorry for bothering you again but a few hours ago I went to the bathroom ad saw that the pad I was wearing (I put it on because I would be out all day and wasn't sure if I'd start or not) had a streak of blood on it. Just one single streak. And since then I haven't bled anymore. Normally the first day of my periods are heavy. Could this be implantation bleeding?? I'm trying not to freak out but this is strange..
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Edith_*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ashley, welcome to the boards!

Would you mind asking your own question on your own thread? Is better that way so your post won't get lost. You can do that by clicking the "New Topic" button at the bottom of the page. Thanks! [Smile]

--------------------
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it " (...'cause no one else will) -Gandhi-

Posts: 420 | From: Somewhere over the rainbow* | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shlee
Neophyte
Member # 109666

Oh that's awkward. I'm on my phone and it's signed in to my other account that I've been meaning to delete. I didn't even realize it. It'd still me, Shlee. That question is still mine.
Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Edith_*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, implantation bleeding is very rare actually but not only rare, it's impossible when you didn't have a risk to begin with. [Smile]

Also, as the guidelines you agreed when signing to the boards is not allowed to have more than one account. Please choose one and let us know which one will be. Thanks. [Smile]

--------------------
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it " (...'cause no one else will) -Gandhi-

Posts: 420 | From: Somewhere over the rainbow* | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shlee
Neophyte
Member # 109666

Implantation bleeding is rare? So I could just be spotting? Is spotting before a period, one that is late, normal? I feel like I should be startig my period soon, with my back pains and cramps and belatedness, but I've never spotted before so I'm very worried. Should I be?
And I know I shouldn't have two accounts. I made that first one, but for some reason I didn't think I actually made it so I made this one. As soon as I get home, I will be deleting the other one and keeping this one, don't worry.

shlee
Neophyte
Member # 109666

Oh that's awkward. I'm on my phone and it's signed in to my other account that I've been meaning to delete. I didn't even realize it. It'd still me, Shlee. That question is still mine.
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No worries; we just like to know what's what with people's accounts and have things sorted so we don't get confused or miss important things [Smile]

Spotting is a very normal thing that happens sometimes. Yes, it can happen at the very beginning of a period as a very slow start to the period; it can also happen at completely unconnected times. Occasional spotting is no cause for concern.

You know that pregnancy isn't possible, but you're clearly still worried about pregnancy. Do you have any sense of what's behind that worry and why you're finding it so hard to let it go?

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shlee
Neophyte
Member # 109666

I figured the spotting indicated that I would be starting my period the next day, (today) but there's still nothing as of now. And the cramps and back aches that I had been feeling yesterday are gone. I'm worried about being pregnant still because my period is still a no show. I was able to brush off the pregnancy scare at first because I know that it is nearly impossible, but now that my period is late, I'm freaking out all over again. And recently, I've been peeing quite a lot. That may be due to me starting to drink more water lately. Could that have anything to do with my period being late? I've been eating less lately, and I've been drinking a lot more water, around 3 750 ml bottles a day. I just want to be able to shake this scare off for good.
shlee
Neophyte
Member # 109666

Also, since I posted about my fear over two weeks ago, I've had trouble sleeping. I haven't been getting as much sleep as I should. But can two weeks really make an impact on my cycle?
Patricia H
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 103815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patricia H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, two weeks of freaking out over something that couldn't happen will make an impact--a negative one, at that, unfortunately--on your cycle. Did you know that there are many reasons why you may not get your period on time, and that pregnancy isn't the only one?

--------------------
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum. - Margaret Atwood, The Handmaid's Tale

Posts: 234 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shlee
Neophyte
Member # 109666

Yes, I'm aware pregnancy isn't the only reason for a late period. It just seems to be the only logical reason for me, because I get nervous about the smallest stuff. I'm trying to get a pregnancy test but it's hard. I hope my period will come soon so I don't have to worry about that anymore.
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You said you think pregnancy is "nearly impossible". Can you tell me why there's a "nearly" in there for you?

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shlee
Neophyte
Member # 109666

I don't know.. There's still that small voice in the back of my head telling me that there's like a .0000000001 percent chance that I could get pregnant from what I did even though I know there isn't. I want to ask my mom if I can take a test just to ease my mind (I've told her that my period is late and I'm concerned but I have no risk for pregnancy) but I can't seem to get her without her boyfriend, whom I don't want to know about what's happening.
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Would it be a possibility to ask your mom if you can talk with her in private?

--------------------

shlee
Neophyte
Member # 109666

I've been trying but she refuses to be without her stupid boyfriend. She's impossible.
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Oh, I'm sorry [Frown]

Is there another adult in your life who you think would be supportive of you?

--------------------

shlee
Neophyte
Member # 109666

Actually, I was finally able to call her into my room as she was leaving the bathroom and was able to get her to agree to let me take a test to put my mind at ease. I was also able to finally tell her about the panic attacks I've been having lately, so I think she'll finally take me to see a doctor. I was able to get two birds with one stone! I feel better already.
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Oh, that's great. Sometimes, when we're feeling anxious or worried, feeling isolated or unsupported can make the worry much stronger, so I'm glad she made a bit of time for you.

I'm glad to hear too that you should be getting to a doctor soon. Panic attacks and anxiety are very not fun, and it's usually really important to get medical help for dealing with them and managing them.

--------------------

shlee
Neophyte
Member # 109666

I just wanted to stop by and say that a pregnancy test will no longer be necessary. I woke up this morning to killer cramps and lots of blood. [Razz] I want to complain about the pain, but given that I'm so damn relieved, I'm just gonna thank Mother Nature and take some medicine. Thank all of you here at Scarleteen, because if I hadn't found this site I'd still probably be on Google, being 100% sure I was pregnant. You guys helped me cope so much, and I really appreciate it!! [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.