Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » IUD confusion

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: IUD confusion
Ohsoanxious
Neophyte
Member # 101608

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ohsoanxious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,

I have been interested in the copper IUD, I was on the pill for about 3 years and have decided I no longer want to be exposed to hormones long term. Obviously, the copper coil is the only option and the majority of pros seem to outweigh the cons for me. However I do have a couple of questions. I am curious about the strings that hang down - if I can feel them myself, obviously everything is okay, I know in circumstances my boyfriend may be able to feel them too, if this is the case, how does having sex not push the strings and IUD out of place? I've read that people have said to be careful when checking them not to pull them, does having intercourse not pose the same risk?
I am 19 years old and in a steady relationship, I have never had children, I have been told that this presents no other problems other than being slightly more painful upon insertion. We are both STI free so that isn't a worry either.
It's more the strings that are the only thing putting me off having it done. But I don't trust condoms long term, I am really not ready to have children and for me they pose too much of a risk.

Any light shed on the strings issue would be greatly received.

Thank you [Smile]

Posts: 30 | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The strings of an IUD can move around, and that has no impact on the device. You or someone else grabbing them and yanking them obviously could, but some movement is fine.

They also soften quickly, so it is not likely a partner will feel them during intercourse, especially with all the other stimulation going on. [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ohsoanxious
Neophyte
Member # 101608

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ohsoanxious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So fingering for say would be okay? Thank you.
Posts: 30 | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sure is. A partner just needs to know that if they do feel the strings, they are not something to pull on.

You can also ask your provider to cut them super- short if you like. Many do that now as standard practice anyway.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.