Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » unsure of having sex

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: unsure of having sex
Mr.a
Neophyte
Member # 109574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr.a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im 17 yrs old.(male).I'm unsure whether or not I want to have sex because I come from a some what strict religion family. Also I'm shy when it comes to talking about sex to my mom also since I don't have a father so I never was sure of my body and how puberty works. But I'm older now n hear and there have the eager to have sex but if I do what are some best safely know condoms? And should I talk to my mother about this? All opinions are appreciated.
Posts: 3 | From: fresno, ca, usa | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, Mr. a, and welcome to Scarleteen!

I think you'd find it helpful to spend some time looking around our main site and reading some of our articles there. We have a good condom primer: Condom Basics: A User's Manual and this is a good article to read as you're contemplating becoming sexually active: Ready or Not? The Scarleteen Sex Readiness Checklist

Beyond that, any topic you want to learn more about can be searched for on the main page; we have years and years of content that can help you out, whether you're looking for information on birth control, or relationships, or what kinds of sex pose a pregnancy risk. If there's anything in particular you want more information about, we can try to point you in the right direction. =)

Posts: 1125 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.a
Neophyte
Member # 109574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr.a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK thank you very much and what do u think should I try talking to mother?
Posts: 3 | From: fresno, ca, usa | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, what did you want to talk to her about?

For instance, are you seeing someone? In other words, is thinking about engaging in sex something where there is also opportunity, so this may be something you do in action soon or want to? or is this more abstract than that, about wanting support for just thinking about these things at all, or wanting a parent to talk about sex in general with you?

It might also help to think about what yo want out of a talk with your mother: what do you want to get from that?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67067 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think whether or not you should talk to your mother about this depends on a few things. If you're living with her, or feel like it would be hard to have a sexual relationship without her knowledge or approval, then talking with her might be a good idea. And certainly, if you have the sort of relationship with her where you do enjoy talking about decisions and aspects of your personal life with her, it's ok to do so.

But I don't think there's any reason you have to, if you aren't sure yet or know you don't want to. So maybe it's worth asking yourself how you feel about talking to her? Do you have a sense of what her reaction might be, and how that might impact your relationship with her?

Posts: 1125 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.