Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Condom leakage question.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Condom leakage question.
its2014
Neophyte
Member # 109473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for its2014     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First of all I just want to thank all the moderators on this forum for your help.

I had sex with my boyfriend last night and we used condom but I am freaking out because after he came he didn't pull out his penis right away(he was in there for about 3 mins). There were semen very close to the base/rim of the condom and almost seeping/seeped out of it.

Is it possible for semen to leak out of the base of the condom? He said he didn't leave any room on the tip to collect the semen and the condom was folding up/sliding when he was inside me.

--------------------
Hello

Posts: 10 | From: Houston | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, am I understanding correctly that he told you he did not put the condom on properly, in that he did not pinch and hold the tip while putting it on to leave a place for his ejaculate to collect?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67055 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
its2014
Neophyte
Member # 109473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for its2014     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes he said he didn't pinch the tip.

--------------------
Hello

Posts: 10 | From: Houston | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay.

So, given that the condom wasn't used properly, and it seems you may be looking at a failure, my advice if you do not want or intend to become pregnant soon is to consider getting and using emergency contraception.

Ultimately, this is one of those things where just not being there and seeing exactly what happened, we just can't know for sure. But we do know the condom wasn't used properly, and it sounds like, at the least, that effected the way the condom performed. So, for that reason alone, in a situation like this, I'd consider it figuring that the condom may not have been something on which you could rely.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67055 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
its2014
Neophyte
Member # 109473

I thought if a condom doesn't slip off or break it's not consider a condom failure?

--------------------
Hello

Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even if the condom did not do anything that is the most common cause of failure (breaking, coming off), the fact that it was not used correctly decreased it's effectiveness. And, like Heather said, since we weren't there and can't say for certain what happened, we are airing on the side of caution in our advice.
Posts: 932 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
its2014
Neophyte
Member # 109473

So you are saying that there is a possibility that the condom leaked even thought it was still on his penis when it withdrew? I am just trying to get an understanding, because I read on here that if a condom didn't slip-off or break, no need to worry about pregnancy.

--------------------
Hello

Heather
Member # 3

Here's what I'm saying:

The condom was not used properly. Room was not left in the tip AND your partner did not withdraw right after ejaculating. Those are two ways it was not used properly.

Like I said, I was not there, so I can't know where exactly his ejaculate went, but then it can't go into the tip, it has got to go somewhere. Often, that'll result in a break, which does not seem to have happened here. But what I simply cannot know without having literally watched this whole situation from start to finish is where it DID go, save that you seem to be describing it seeping out over the base.

That all given, I personally would suggest EC for someone who wanted to reduce a possibly higher risk of pregnancy that you will have when condoms are not used properly. That's an option, of course, not a requirement, but since you were concerned enough to post here and ask about this, I can only assume pregnancy is not something you want any larger a risk of than necessary.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

its2014
Neophyte
Member # 109473

The semen was all over the shaft of the penis. He used trojan magnum which comes with a reservoir tip already. I guess slip-off and breakage are not just the two ways a condom fail. You guys should add leakage to it.

--------------------
Hello

Heather
Member # 3

Well, it seems to me what you are describing IS a kind of slip-off. But again, we can't know. What we CAN know is that condoms, when not used properly, are substantially less effective than when used properly, and we talk a great deal here about how to use them properly and how important that is. If someone does not want condoms to fail, and wants them to be as effective as they can be, they need to use them correctly, and I think that's very clear here, you know?

Do you want to talk about your options with EC? And do you or your boyfriend want some links to find out how to use condoms properly, for next times?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

its2014
Neophyte
Member # 109473

Yes I am going to the cvs now to get EC. Thank you.

--------------------
Hello

Heather
Member # 3

Sure thing.

If you all want those links later or to talk through how to use condoms right anytime, just give a holler. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

its2014
Neophyte
Member # 109473

Please help answer this..If he used a condom and left room on the tip and he didn't withdraw immediately is that considered a condom failure?

--------------------
Hello

Heather
Member # 3

Let me try and be clear, first.

When it comes to contraception,a condom working = no one becomes pregnant. A condom failing = someone becomes pregnant. That's what failure means, with any method, and it all about.

Otherwise, we can talk about proper or improper use, and we can also talk about things that we know make it more likely for a given method to fail, and less effective when used.

So, with this new scenario you are putting out there, you'd then only be talking about one, rather than two, ways of not using condoms properly, so right there, that means that would be less likely to result in a failure than two ways of mucking it up. But even with that scenario, if sticking around in the vagina resulted in the condom, with ejaculate in it, sliding around, then that can result in it sliding off. If that did not happen, then no, in this scenario, failure would not be likely.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

its2014
Neophyte
Member # 109473

Okay thanks for your answer. I am just asking what ways a condom can fail, not what leads to the failure.

--------------------
Hello

its2014
Neophyte
Member # 109473

So if a condom doesn't slip off or break we have nothing to worry about when it comes to pregnancy, right?

--------------------
Hello

Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As we've said previously, we can't know for sure what the risk was in the situations you mentioned, since we know the condom was used at least partially incorrectly but weren't there watching what happened. So, if either of those scenarios you described are what happened to you, then you should follow through with your plan to get EC.
Posts: 932 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
its2014
Neophyte
Member # 109473

I didn't get a straight answer from this site. What is the point of even asking. Thanks.

--------------------
Hello

Heather
Member # 3

I tried very hard to give you a straight answer the best that we can with a question like this. But I'd say this is one where, ultimately, I get you want a definitive answer but we just can't give that kind of answer to something like this. I did my best to try and make clear why that is.

I also feel like part of the problem is a framework of "failure" that doesn't really work, which I tried to address as well.

If none of that met your needs, our apologies, but all we can do is our best with what we have to work with.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.