Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Emergency contraception + late pills (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Emergency contraception + late pills
SittingPretty12
Activist
Member # 94883

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SittingPretty12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going off the pill since I clearly have a hard time taking them.

I was on my placebos last week. I was supposed to start my new pill pack on Sunday but did not get my pills until today. I'm starting them tomorrow. So, I will be a week late.

I stupidly had sex last night (with a condom). But this morning, when I picked up the condom, I noticed it may have been leaking from the tip. I couldn't see a visible hole, but there was sperm leaking from the tip; however, most of the sperm was pooled inside of the tip. Kinda confusing.

I took EC 13 hours after this incident. How effective would this be? I know women can ovulate quickly after they miss pills, would ovulation cause EC to not be 95% effective since I took it so early? Thanks.

--------------------
xo.

Posts: 113 | From: West Coast, Best Coast | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Edith_*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello there SittingPretty! [Smile]

Emergency contraception can be taken up to 5 days after the risk. The sooner you take it, the most efficient it is so, 13 hours sound soon enough to me. [Smile] You can have more information here:

Emergency Contraception

If you didn't see a visible damaged condom, chances are what you saw were your own fluids on it. Condoms don't leak, they might break and if and when they do, is going to be pretty visible, like when a balloon pops. [Smile]

I hear you saying you are about to start again with your pills but, from this post -- and previous -- I can tell you are having a hard time with it so maybe you should consider talking to your healthcare provider and see what other options could be more suitable for you. Not saying you shouldn't start them, just putting the idea out there for you to think about it. If you want more information about this, this link might be helpful:

Birth Control Bingo

--------------------
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it " (...'cause no one else will) -Gandhi-

Posts: 417 | From: Somewhere over the rainbow* | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SittingPretty12
Activist
Member # 94883

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SittingPretty12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Edith,

Thank you. Would starting my normal birth control pills today offer any kind of additional protection?

I am sure it was semen. Kind of gross, but it smelled like semen on my hands when I put the condom back down.

Posts: 113 | From: West Coast, Best Coast | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Edith_*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, actually is almost impossible to distinguish between semen and vaginal secretions but -- in case it were semen -- again, you took EC in the first 24 hours. [Smile]

Just to clarify and be absolutely sure I understand what you are telling me: you had your placebo week and then the next week you didn't take any pills? Am I getting this right? If so, starting your pills today won't offer protection to the past risks. But, one more time, all the protection you could get, you already got it from EC. [Smile]

--------------------
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it " (...'cause no one else will) -Gandhi-

Posts: 417 | From: Somewhere over the rainbow* | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SittingPretty12
Activist
Member # 94883

Yes, that's correct. I had my placebos, forgot to pick up my pills, so I'll be restarting today.

I'm worried that I ovulated the week I was off my pills. I've read that PLAN B won't work if you are ovulating. Is this true? See below ==

"Dr Kate Guthrie said Levonelle One Step, the form of emergency contraception being offered by the British Pregnancy Advice Service (bpas), was "not effective" for up to five days around ovulation.

Dr Guthrie, a member of the Faculty of Sexual and Reproductive Health, was concerned that women could take the pill during these days and wrongly think they would avoid pregnancy.

She said: "There's very clear evidence showing that it's not effective in the couple of days running up to ovulation, and probably not very effective in the 36 hours afterwards."

--------------------
xo.

Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I promise to answer what you're asking fully and clearly.

To do that, we need to start with the source of what you quoted. I did an internet search for that passage, and it seems that the original source is a mainstream news source. That should Always make us wary when we're wanting health facts, for a few reasons: 1) reporters are journalists, not (usually) medical experts, and they may not accurately present complex facts or the whole picture, particularly in the same way a medic would; 2) media's aim is to tell a story, rather than to give full medical information, and that aim influences what information is given and left out and how the information is given; 3) media is always owned by somebody, and those somebodies have a particular view of the world which influences what kind of stories they want their media to tell and how they want those stories told - and individual journalists, too, will report stories through the lens of their own world-view to some extent; 4) mainstream media mostly tries to be "balanced" and present "both sides", and around issues of contraception and pregnancy, what that often means is that articles contain the viewpoint of someone from an organisation which is morally opposed to contraception and may not be based in any medical fact whatsoever.

This particular quotation is from a report in the Daily Telegraph, and I can throw in the bonus info that that newspaper is generally considered to report from a fairly conservative viewpoint on the world; and in my own observation, usually frames its stories about contraception in a fairly contraception-suspicious way, questioning the safety and morality of contraception and the knowledge and intelligence of women who use it. Having read the full report, it's my opinion that the newspaper ran this article to criticise a scheme that made EC more available. It seems that presenting "but EC isn't always effective! And women don't know that!" was the best they could come up with.

Dr Guthrie is on the Faculty of Sexual and Reproductive Health, so she should know what she's on about; what she's quoted as saying is technically correct, but it is incomplete and presented and framed by a biased source, which may well have selectively quoted only a part of what she originally said, and put their own context in the middle of it. I would love to hear what she would actually give as full information about emergency contraception. It is the report which is "concerned", not the doctor, and I suspect they selected and fit her scientifically accurate words to the story they wanted to tell.

So, the medical info about Levonelle - or Plan B, or other levonorgestrel emergency contraception - (finally [Smile] ) : yes, it's known from studies that it is much less effective - or perhaps even unlikely to be effective - right around ovulation. That's because it mostly works by preventing ovulation, and it can't prevent something that's already happened or is already happening. This is already accounted for in the effectiveness rating of levonorgestrel emergency contraception. Health workers and women who are given information about emergency contraception already know that there's a chance it won't be effective. Focusing on possible ovulation is, in practice, really not helpful, because most people do not know when they're ovulating.

For you, there is really no point worrying about if you'd ovulated or not, because you just can't know. You'd been taking the pill before, so you may have had some protection from your pill. You took EC after having unprotected sex, which was exactly the right thing to do if you don't want to become pregnant. After the unprotected sex, you did all you could to reduce the risk or pregnancy. Taking EC 13 hours after the risk gives you a high chance that it will have been effective for you.

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1709 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SittingPretty12
Activist
Member # 94883

Hi Redskies,

Thank you. This is very informative. So, the failure rate is already accounted for in the 95% effectiveness rate (if taken within 24 hours)?

Also, I do not think I'm ovulating anyway. My CM is almost non-existent. Times where I have ovulated, it was VERY clear I was ovulating (TMI, sorry). I am getting some pains in my ovaries, though which concerns me.

--------------------
xo.

Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Correct, in fact, taken up to 24 hrs after the risk, EC can reduce the risk of pregnancy by up to 98%.

Just so you know, it is too early to be feeling any pregnancy symptoms. So, if you are having pains in your ovaries and they continue (and are not connected to your period), you might want to consult a healthcare provider.

Posts: 1252 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SittingPretty12
Activist
Member # 94883

Thank you. So, just to clarify, even if I had been ovulating -- it would still be 98% effective?

Like I said, I'm afraid missing a week of my pills made me ovulate.

As for the pain, I'm experiencing a dull pain on one side of my pelvis which is similar to ovulation pains that I felt. Can plan b cause this? Thanks for your time. [Smile]

Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Effectiveness rates for a method of contraception can't apply to just one use, because one can't have 2% of a pregnancy [Smile] For one use, it was either effective or it wasn't. From our page on EC Emergency Contraception (Plan B or the Morning-After-Pill)
quote:
7 out of every 8 people who would have become pregnant will not by using emergency contraceptive pills
7 out of 8 is pretty good, and that's the thing to focus on here, as you don't know whether you'd ovulated or not.

No, Plan B isn't 98% effective for people who take it around ovulation. I'm not sure if there are any reliable figures for that, as it's both very specific and potentially difficult to measure. The 98% figure is overall, for all times - and that's pretty darn good.

Lower abdominal pain is listed as a possible side effect of Plan B (or, more accurately, of Levonelle - the European version - but it's the same medication). There are also lots of other things in the body that can cause mild temporary pain there, too. If it's just mild and it goes away, there's no cause for concern. Any severe or lasting pain should be checked with a healthcare provider.

You did everything you could after the unprotected intercourse, and you are much more likely to Not become pregnant than you are. So, at this point, I think the best thing you can do is try not to focus so much on this, because all it'll do is worry you and take your energy from other things. If you need some tips, you can try this piece: Self-Care a La Carte

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1709 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SittingPretty12
Activist
Member # 94883

Thanks for the info, very informative. To be honest, I've never really thought about Plan B around ovulation. I thought it just worked all the time haha.

I think the reason I am freaking out so much is that I found out my new BF is very pro-life after we slept together. I discussed with him that I am not, and I absolutely cannot have a child right now. The pregnancy scare is, well, scary since I'm afraid the relationship would be ruined if a pregnancy occurs.

--------------------
xo.

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I would suggest this is obviously a conflict no matter what. In other words, if this person would be unsupportive of you making the choices you wanted to make with your own body, that is a problem all by itself. It would be more awful, of course, if you became pregnant and this person, who was not themselves pregnant, insisted you make a choice with your body and life you do not want to, or was a jerk when you did make whatever choice that was, but ultimately, someone not supporting your ownership of your body as an of-course presents some ooky dynamics no matter what.

Personally, I would suggest strongly reconsidering a relationship with someone who doesn't support your own bodily autonomy rather than being worried it might not continue, IMO.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SittingPretty12
Activist
Member # 94883

Hi Heather,

Yes. It was quite the shock to hear that. As you can imagine, it puts me in a lot of emotional distress because I'm so paranoid that I'm pregnant now.

To top it all off, I woke up this morning totally nauseous. Is it too soon? It's been 10 days. Thanks.

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Usually, yes, it would be. But in the event that nausea was happening from a pregnancy, you'd also know you were far enough along to get a positive on a pregnancy test.

Personally -- this is unsolicitied, obviously, so take it or leave it -- I advise people with a uterus not to engage in sex with people who don't support their right for it to be 100% theirs, and would not support whatever choices they made with it. I just think it's a good general rule of thumb that not only saves you a lot of agony if a pregnancy occurs, but also tends to weed out people who usually are bringing some sexism to the table, at the very least, and probably won't be such awesome partners, period.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SittingPretty12
Activist
Member # 94883

Hi Heather,

Yes, I agree. Unfortunately, this evening I took two early result tests and both came out positive. I am completely at a loss for words and so confused on what to do.

--------------------
xo.

SittingPretty12
Activist
Member # 94883

I took a digital and a first response this morning and they were both negative. I'm so confused.

My tests get darker as time elapses. I've read online this is an indicator of early pregnancy. I'm so confused.

--------------------
xo.

Heather
Member # 3

It sounds like it is time for you to just see a healthcare provider for a test, given the confusing results of the four home tests you have already taken.

Do you need help finding a doctor or clinic to go into?

[ 02-04-2014, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

SittingPretty12
Activist
Member # 94883

No. Either going to see my GP or Planned Parenthood. I hope I'm just seeing things and the lines aren't there.

Should I be worried about the pink lines after the slotted time has elapsed?

--------------------
xo.

Heather
Member # 3

You should simply follow the directions on the test, including for interpreting results.

If in doubt about something, most tests have consumer hotlines published on the instructions you can call. Not having any clue what all the directions for your brand of test are, this is a question for the people who make the test, not for us.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

SittingPretty12
Activist
Member # 94883

Ok. Thank you. I'm just scared.

--------------------
xo.

Heather
Member # 3

I understand. Which is why I'd go ahead, take care of yourself, and get in to see someone to do a text for you ASAP. No one wants to keep feeling like this.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

SittingPretty12
Activist
Member # 94883

I took two more tests today -- first response digital. Both were negative. I'm starting to think/hope the other ones were evaporation lines.

My period isn't due for another two weeks. Should I wait until I miss it to retest? 14 days after the risk will be Friday. Not sure if I should wait for a missed period to see my doctor.

--------------------
xo.

Heather
Member # 3

You should do whatever you feel is best for you.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

SittingPretty12
Activist
Member # 94883

Ok, I ended up taking tests all through the weekend. All very obviously negative. I would be 17 days after the risk this morning -- I used first morning urine on a first response. VERY negative test.

I talked to Planned Parenthood and they told me because I took the test apart before letting it dry, I could have seen an evaporation line. OR, I could have had a chemical pregnancy.

Did I take a test at the right time? My timeline goes like this:

January 15th: last active pill
January 18th: 1st day of period
January 19th: was supposed to be first active pill, but I did not pick them up until the following week.
January 24th: had sex with bf.
January 25th: took ECP 13 hours later
January 26th: began pill pack a week late.

PHEW. My withdrawal bleed is supposed to start next Saturday (hopefully). With my negative tests all the way up to 17 days after the risk, can I be confident that my bleed will come?

I know you guys aren't fortune tellers, but I'm just curious about when I can take a preg test. I've read not until your period ends, 28 days after your period, 21 days, 19 days, 10 days. So confusing. Thank you.

--------------------
xo.

Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would say that all those negative results (assuming you followed the directions on the tests) point to you not being pregnant. If you haven't already, I would take a look at this article. It's a good overview of pregnancy tests:
Peeing on a Stick: All About Pregnancy Tests

Posts: 1252 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SittingPretty12
Activist
Member # 94883

Ok, cool. So it does not matter when my period is scheduled then? That article is pretty helpful, thanks for sharing.

--------------------
xo.

Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Glad you found it helpful [Smile] And yes, it's waiting 14 or more days that's important in terms of timing the tests, rather than where in relation to your period schedule you are.
SittingPretty12
Activist
Member # 94883

Cool! Big weight off my shoulders. Thanks so much. I'm going to bookmark that page.

--------------------
xo.

SittingPretty12
Activist
Member # 94883

One last question, why does it not matter when my period is due? As I mentioned, my period is due on the 22nd which is far away.

I plugged my info into a pregnancy test calculator and they said all the tests I'm taking previous to 2/22 are invalid (tjohgh I would be 30 days past ovulation) regardless of when I *may* have ovulated.

Thanks again. Sorry for all the questions.

--------------------
xo.

Heather
Member # 3

It matters because it takes time for the hormone produced by pregnancy, the hormone a test looks for, to develop.

And given when pregnancy is most likely to occur per people's menstrual cycles, that is highly unlikely to happen before a period is due.

[ 02-11-2014, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

SittingPretty12
Activist
Member # 94883

So a positive test is unlikely to happen before a period is due?

I'm asking because my risk was 17 days ago and I got a bunch of negatives starting from the recommended 14 days after intercourse. My period isn't due until 2/22. My last cycle started on 1/17. Can I trust these results though my period is still 2 weeks away?

Thanks.

--------------------
xo.

SittingPretty12
Activist
Member # 94883

The reason I think I ovulated on the 25th instead of in the middle of my cycle is because I didn't pick up my pills, and I've read not starting your first week on time from the last pack could prompt ovulation.

The last negative test was 17 days after my risk.

Sorry, don't mean to bump. Just to clarify.

--------------------
xo.

Heather
Member # 3

Very unlikely, yes. Because when it comes to the timing of ovulation and periods, someone is not likely to have become pregnant before ovulating, or get a period at any other time than around two weeks after ovulation.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Heather
Member # 3

Also, know that missing some pills is not likely to mean someone ovulates immediately. It still takes the body time to chemically do the things it needs to for an egg to be released.

When you miss pills, ovulation may well occur sometime in that pill cycle, but it is unlikely to happen immediately.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

SittingPretty12
Activist
Member # 94883

Ok, thanks. So assuming I may have ovulated. 17-16 days ago (from missing my pills), my tests would be accurate? Even though my period (withdrawal bleed) isn't due for 12 days?

I've always read on this site it's 10-14 days after a risk or when your period is supposed to startt, whichever comes first.

--------------------
xo.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.