Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Condom inside out.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Condom inside out.
kok202
Activist
Member # 108585

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kok202     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was drunk last night and I had sex with a condom inside out. The condom was still intact when I pulled out. Is this consider a condom failure?

--------------------
kdfdfd

Posts: 44 | From: Austin | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kok202
Activist
Member # 108585

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kok202     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I meant I put on the condom backward.

--------------------
kdfdfd

Posts: 44 | From: Austin | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am assume that when you say "inside out" you mean that you rolled it down with the edge on the inside?

It does not sound like the condom broke as a result of this, but this definitely does not count as correct usage. So, be aware that it may have decreased the efficacy of the condom.

Did you use a back-up method or the condom on its own?

[ 01-09-2014, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: Sam W ]

Posts: 1248 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kok202
Activist
Member # 108585

Yes the edge on the inside. The condom was still on when I pulled out, it didn't break or slip and I hold the base when I pulled out. No back-up method. Do you think she should take a morning after pill?

--------------------
kdfdfd

Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is up to her to decide, depending on what she feels most comfortable with doing. So, if she would feel better having taken the EC pill, then by all means she should do that.
Posts: 1248 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kok202
Activist
Member # 108585

Alright thanks, so that to clarify, if the condom didn't not slip off or break everything is alright?

--------------------
kdfdfd

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem with putting a condom on inside out is that it can increase the likelihood of it breaking. But since it didn't break, you can assume it worked as intended and pregnancy is not a concern.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5721 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kok202
Activist
Member # 108585

Thank you.

--------------------
kdfdfd

kok202
Activist
Member # 108585

Hello, please just one more question: What if you put on a condom inside out(backward) and stayed in for a few second after ejaculation before you pulled out? Is that considered a condom failure?

--------------------
kdfdfd

Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

The point of pulling out right after ejaculation is so that the penis is still semi-erect, which helps prevent condom leakage. So staying in for a few seconds is unlikely to be an issue.
kok202
Activist
Member # 108585

Even if the condom was inside out?

--------------------
kdfdfd

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The issue with a condom being put on inside out is that rolling it down is often difficult or impossible. But if you managed to put it on inside out and it still rolled all the way down, and did not break or slip off, then, again, that doesn't mean a condom failed or is any less effective.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67932 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kok202
Activist
Member # 108585

Thanks for your reply, but the condom was not rolled down all the way. It's was rolled down half way and couldn't go further. But it was still covering my penis when I pulled out after ejaculation. Still effective?

--------------------
kdfdfd

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Per pregnancy, if your ejaculate was still all inside it, yes, no need to assume it was any less effective.

But you should figure you and your partner had less protection from STIs since less of your penis was covered, and her genitals would have been exposed to more of yours than had the condom been on properly and all the way to the base.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67932 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kok202
Activist
Member # 108585

Thanks alot.

--------------------
kdfdfd

Heather
Member # 3

Sure thing. Do you need any help with, or want to talk about, making sexual choices differently, or things around that, like not getting drunk or being so in sexual situations, and only doing things when you not only are really capable, but feeling okay about them?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

kok202
Activist
Member # 108585

Yes I a just scared of having a baby right now because I am not ready yet. I also can't stay away from sex.

--------------------
kdfdfd

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, being sexual with a partner is a choice that we make, not something that just happens totally out of our control (unless you're talking about someone doing something to you non-consensually, which is a different issue). When you say that you can't stay away from sex, are you saying that you feel like you are not able to make that choice?

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5721 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kok202
Activist
Member # 108585

Yes it is very hard for me to make that choice.

--------------------
kdfdfd

Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you have any sense of why that is? You've talked here about why Not having sex might be a good choice for you: do you have a reason To have sex, or positives that come out of having sex?

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1699 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kok202
Activist
Member # 108585

I really don't have a reason to have sex but it is very hard for me not too.

--------------------
kdfdfd

Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

When you say it's very hard for you not to, can you elaborate on what that means? What is the thought process you go through when confronted with the choice to engage in sexual behaviors?
Heather
Member # 3

Just for the record, if you are saying you feel that engaging in sex is a compulsion for you -- that it is something that even when you do not want to do, you feel you cannot keep yourself from doing -- know that is a mental health issue.

Compulsive behaviour,related to any kind of action, including sex alone or with others, is something to have evaluated by a mental healthcare professional, and if that is earnestly what is going on with you, they can work with you to help you change that so your sexual behaviour always gets to be 100% a choice for you.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

kok202
Activist
Member # 108585

I think I am a sex addict. Yes you are right Heather, may I need professional help.

--------------------
kdfdfd

Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here, we don't really use the framework of "sex addiction", mostly because that framework usually comes with some unscientific and judgemental opinions about how often or how much people should or should not be interested in sex.

However, as Heather said above, we certainly do recognise that sometimes people have consensual sex even though they do not want to and do not feel good about it and feel unable to change that behaviour. If that's going on for you, we strongly encourage you to seek mental healthcare for that, just as we would for anyone who may be engaging in compulsive behaviour.

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1699 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Do you know where to get a mental health evaluation near you? If not, we would be happy to help you find how to access that care.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

kok202
Activist
Member # 108585

Thanks for your help, but I think I can take it from here.

--------------------
kdfdfd

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.