Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Lab testing for Throat

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lab testing for Throat
PandaLover
Activist
Member # 108299

Icon 9 posted      Profile for PandaLover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to the doctor because I have sore throat and they took a swab of my mouth. I recently found out that you can get oral cancer from having hpv in the mouth. I am terrified to find out what the lab results are. I know you guys said not to worry that I have a low to none chance of having any STI but I am still concerned. I also heard from americans cancer society that you can get hpv in the mouth by deep open mouth kissing and also from having oral sex. I just wanted to update you guys. What should I do while I wait for the results?
Posts: 59 | From: somewhere | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's much, much more likely that your sore throat is from something like strep throat or another common infection. Oral HPV isn't terribly common, and there's no test at the moment that can detect it. The only tests available test for cell changes that might be a result of HPV, not HPV itself, and those cell changes take years to develop after infection, they don't show up right away. If your doctor thought that your problem was HPV related, they would have let you know and probably ordered additional tests, not just a throat swab.

As for what to do in the meantime, you can always call your doctor's office and ask for more information about your tests (such as what they tested you for), but in addition to that, the best thing you can do is whatever kind of self-care helps when you're stressed. If you don't have any strategies for self-care that you know work for you, this is a good place to start: Self-Care a La Carte

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5729 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PandaLover
Activist
Member # 108299

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PandaLover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you. I get very stressed easily and I also make little things into a big deal. I have been stressed a lot lately and I told the doctor about my missing periods and stress and she said that I should do yoga and see a gynecologist. I don't think that I can handle the fact that I could have hpv and I couldn't. I know that 90% of the time the body fights off hpv and that it usually doesn't come back. I just feel so lost and stressed and I feel like I'm about to scream. I don't feel like anything helps with my stress. Thank you for your help and the information you gave.
Posts: 59 | From: somewhere | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, since you have a doctor you can see, they are someone smart to talk to about feeling like you simply cannot manage stress. It is a health issue, after all, and they often can help with that.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PandaLover
Activist
Member # 108299

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PandaLover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did talk to my doctor about it and she said that I should do yoga and lose some weight. She didn't prescribe me anything.We were talking about my stress for awhile and how I get stressed a lot and she just shook her head and said yoga. So HPV doesn't show up until years after infection? What if your body clears the infection does it not show up?
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would say that was your doctor doing a crummy job, then. [Frown] Yoga certainly is one good way of managing stress, but it is by no means the only way, and a doctor should have done a better evaluation than that. Do you have another option with a doctor?

HPV may or may not be something that shows up on tests right away, it can indeed take a decade or more to show up sometimes,but that is rare. Are these questions you were also asking your doctor? They really are the best people to have these conversations with, because they have your health history in their hands, and also know what kind of tests, exactly, they are even doing so they can give you the information on results with that particular test.

--------------------
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PandaLover
Activist
Member # 108299

She didn't even really check out my throat either she just looked at it for a second said its fine and did a throat swab to check for strep throat. I guess I could talk to my general doctor the one I usually go to get shots, maybe he can help. No I couldn't talk to my doctor about it because my mother was in the room as well. So there is a chance that Hpv can show on my throat swab test? or no?
Heather
Member # 3

Okay, so one thing you clearly need to do next time you go to a doctor with your mother is ask her to wait outside the exam room. Alternately, you can ask the receptionist or nurse to ask the doctor to ask her to wait outside.

This doctor who just checked for strep, did they ask you about your sexual history to see if you needed a throat screening for STIs? If they did, and opted not to, chances are awfully good that is because they knew those tests simply were not tests you needed.

Once more,you are asking questions we cannot answer. I do not know what tests your doctor is running on that swab. To know that you need to ask them these questions.

--------------------
About MeGet our book!

PandaLover
Activist
Member # 108299

No, they only tested for strep throat and that's all. They didn't ask about my sexual history or anything.
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds like your next step here, as Heather said above, is to call your doctor and ask some of these questions in terms of what tests they ran on the swab and whether they think it's necessary for you to be screened for anything else.
You could even mention, when you call, that you'd like them to make a note on your chart or in your file that you want to see the doctor privately when you come in; maybe they can help with that so you have backup in wanting your mom to wait outside when you're seeing the doctor next.

Posts: 1316 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PandaLover
Activist
Member # 108299

Ok. I am pretty sure they only tested for strep throat.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.