Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » I am confused what my brown discharge means.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I am confused what my brown discharge means.
yellowtomatoes
Neophyte
Member # 96480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yellowtomatoes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have read the honorably discharged topic on scarleteen and it says that t usually comes before or after a period. Mine came on the 15 December, sunday, yesterday night. It was light brown in colour, larger than a 50 cent coin. I never had a penis in vagina intercourse but I have always been scared about getting pregnant. Even sitting on chairs, I have to clean them throughly before sitting on them, fearing that there would be sperm on them. My period is due in 2 days, however I always get my brown discharge and a while later, my period comes. My period has always been more regular. However , this month, my ovulation seems to be slightly later, like a few days( 5-6 ) days before my period, which is due in 2 days. Is it possible? This is because I felt clear mucus and stretchy mucus. This mucus lasted for a week or so. I am worried, why my mucus lasted so long, ending near to my period's due date. And what was that brown discharge? I never had a sudden brown discharge before. I feel bloated but there was no cramps at all.people say that this could be the result of pregnancy. Is it true? Please help, thank you

--------------------
thanks for helping(:

Posts: 18 | From: Singapore | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hear you saying that brown discharge a day or so before your period is normal for you, so I am not sure how this is different from what you usually experience.

That aside, it sounds like you are making some assumptions about your menstrual cycle and ovulation that you may be lacking the information to make. If you do not check your basal temperature and cervical mucus daily, and have been doing so for a while, you cannot know when you are ovulating.

If you are interested in charting your cycle, this article may help you get started: http://www.scarleteen.com/article/body/get_with_the_flow_all_about_fam

Either way, you hav not had a risk of pregnanty, so whatever else may be going on with your menstrual cycle, a pregnancy has nothing to do with it.

Some information on how pregnancy does happen may also help you calm down: http://www.scarleteen.com/article/reproduction/where_did_i_come_from_a_refresher_course_in_human_reproduction

--------------------
-joey
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 8994 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yellowtomatoes
Neophyte
Member # 96480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yellowtomatoes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How long can a woman's fertile period last for? I had white stretchy mucus and then non stretchy mucus and then stretchy mucus again. This happened for about a week. Im confused. What does it mean to have stretchy mucus after ovulation, clear and stretchy. Even when walking, you can feel it coming out.

--------------------
thanks for helping(:

Posts: 18 | From: Singapore | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yellow, can you please take a look at the first article I linked you to? Together with this one, it should answer your questions: http://www.scarleteen.com/article/body/honorably_discharged_a_guide_to_vaginal_secretions

--------------------
-joey
Scarleteen Volunteer

Posts: 8994 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yellowtomatoes
Neophyte
Member # 96480

I read it before I started this new topic. However it doesnt answer my question where I ask what is the meaning of getting clear white thick stretchy mucus after ovulation.

--------------------
thanks for helping(:

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a link on discharge that should help you out with understanding healthy versus unhealthy discharges: Honorably Discharged: A Guide to Vaginal Secretions

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Yellow, I am sorry if I have confused you. As I pointed out in my first reply, it does not sound like you are charting your cycles accurately enough to even know for sure when you are ovulating, which makes talking about your discharge in this way kind of pointless.

Regardless of where you are in your menstrual cycle, some discharge is normal and nothing to worry about, so long as it does not have a noticeable odor or chunky texture.

--------------------
-joey
Scarleteen Volunteer

yellowtomatoes
Neophyte
Member # 96480

Alright, thanks for your time.

--------------------
thanks for helping(:

yellowtomatoes
Neophyte
Member # 96480

Dear Scarleteen, i am 5 days late on my period. My period cycle has always been 31-32 days. I have not had any direct penis-vagina contact and neither have i had any direct ejeculate on my vagina. I am quite worried that i could get pregnant or something happrned. Last month period, my boyfriend and i rubbed our genitals against each other. he was wearing his underwear and i was wearing my panties and i was wearing a sanitary pad as i was on my period. could i be pregnant?

--------------------
thanks for helping(:

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having read the links we gave you earlier, and hopefully having already done a search on the main site for this answer, what do you think?

It sounds to me like you already know what can and cannot create risks of pregnancy, and that these ways are not it, no?

So, are you saying now you are at day 37 with no period?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67055 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yellowtomatoes
Neophyte
Member # 96480

I don't think i am.pregnant but i have always been afraid that small little things could cause a pregnancy in my body. yes, i am currently at day 36 without my period. i heard that young girls may tend to have irregular periods till a certain age. i am 16 years old. however, my period cycle is usually between days 31-32.

--------------------
thanks for helping(:

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so still not yet five days late.

But even if so, or later, it is common for cycles to deviate sometimes, at any age, and sometimes in big ways from usual. Our reproductive systems can be very sensitive to the whole rest of our lives and bodies, including any changes with them, even changes that can seem super minor, like getting less sleep for a few days, changing up how we eat, or being worried abiut a test.

--------------------
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67055 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yellowtomatoes
Neophyte
Member # 96480

Is it normal for me to have a brown discharge near or a day after ovulation too? That is what made me more worried for a lot of people told me that brown discharge during ovulation or close to ovulation could be pregnancy.

--------------------
thanks for helping(:

Heather
Member # 3

I cant tell you what is normal for you, personally. I do not know how you are charting your fertility, but brown discharges are fairly common around periods. If they are happening in the middle of cycles, as more than brief, slight spotting, and healthcare is an option, I would advise getting that checked out.

But that is not about pregnancy, in general, but obviously particularly in your case when you cannot be pregnant in reality. That is more about checking for possible infections or other health issues that can cause that symptom, like endometriosis, for example.

[ 12-23-2013, 08:58 AM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About MeGet our book!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.