Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Not so sure anymore

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Not so sure anymore
nocarebear
Neophyte
Member # 109093

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nocarebear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On days 18-21 of my first pack of birth control pills I had sex using no other form of birth control. I had been taking them at 4pm every day however since it was my first pack I was still aware that I had presented myself with a risk. I took my last active pill of that pack on 30 November, and my withdrawal bleed started the next day on 1 December and lasted until the 8th when I started my next pack of pills. This period was quite heavy and I thought that I was out of the woods with my pregnancy risk, however, I realized that it might take 12 days apparently for a fertilized egg to actually take. Today was exactly 2 weeks since my last sexual activity and I started to have some extremely light spotting (I don't even know if I could classify it as such, literally the discharge was just slightly pink). Since it is only my second pill pack I realize this could just be breakthrough bleeding, however I think I might have psyched myself out. I was thinking of just taking a pregnancy test but before I do that I was wondering if the concern is even there since I had my period last week? Or was it too soon after my last sexual activity for that to be accurate?
Posts: 1 | Registered: Dec 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Scarleteen, nocarebear!

While we recommend using back up on the entire first pack of the pill, the pill will generally reach full effeciveness sooner than that if taken as directed, especially if you start on or right after the start of your period.

So, by day 18 of the first pack, it is very likely that the pill was already at full effectiveness, or very close to it.

That said, you also did get your withdrawal bleed at the end of the pack, so you did not get pregnant. It is not possible to have a period or withdrawal bleed or be pregnant.

Since it has been two weeks since the risk, you can also now take a pregnancy test to be extra sure.

Do keep in mind though that the pill does not protect you from STIs, so if you and your partner have not been tested, you'll want to back up with condoms anyway.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ninnyd58
Neophyte
Member # 109097

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ninnyd58     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a similar question, yesterday my boyfriend fingered me while i gave him a handjob, i think he kind of got precum or something that makes his penis wet, and then he like stroked his penis a little bit after that, and then went back to fingering me. It was like not all the way on, his finger, and he said his fingers barely got any precum, almost he had no recollection of getting his fingers wet before fingering me again. But could there be a possibility that i could get pregnant?? This is really freaking me out.
Posts: 6 | Registered: Dec 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.