Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Safely doing Manual Sex

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Safely doing Manual Sex
KoreyA
Activist
Member # 108779

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KoreyA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello

First I would like to say thank you to everyone that has helped with my questions in the past, I am finally over my scare and my girlfriend has had two periods therefore I am no longer concerned.

On a new topic though, I Ofcourse want to make sure that from now on I will be as safe as possible. I would like to know, what is the safest way to have manual sex, both fingering and hand jobs, who should wear what types of protection and what are the risks.

Also when there is said to be no risk, is it just extremely low or truly ZERO?

Also will I be one hundred percent safe if I wash my hands and then finger her?

Also can I be a hundred percent sure that if she wears sweats none of my fluids can get anywhere which can cause issues when I do ejaculate?

Thank you all, been very helpful do far!

Posts: 43 | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Korey,

The safest way to go about manual sex is to make sure you use barriers. For fingering, that means using gloves, and for hand-jobs it means wearing a condom. You can find out all about that here: http://www.scarleteen.com/article/advice/all_the_barriers_all_the_time

As a refresher, this article can explain the risks (both of pregnancy and STI transmission) for manual sex and for dry humping (the sweatpants scenario you described): Can I Get Pregnant, or Get or Pass On an STI From That?

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KoreyA
Activist
Member # 108779

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KoreyA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you or the reply

A question, if my hands are washed with soap and warm water right before I go and finger her, is that just as safe as gloves?

Is there no possible way for trace semen to make it's way onto the gloves or my finger in large enough quantities to even remotely be a pregnancy risk?

I read that the article says manual sex isn't a pregnancy risk, which is logical to me, I just want to make sure, is there not something that is a pregnancy risk that often goes along with it, such as dripping semen or something common I am missing?

Also if she only has contact with my semen with her skin, as in no oral contact, is she still at risk of infections? If not, why is it considered to use a condom?

Thank you so much for the help!

Posts: 43 | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In terms of risks of infections, yes: washing your hands is quite enough. Gloves can also be useful to prevent small injuries, but you can also keep that risk to a minimum by keeping your nails short and neat.

If you do not touch any ejaculate with your hand, there is no way that you can transfer anything to anyone else. So as long as you keep your pants on, or put on a condom well in advance, you should be fine!

Manual sex, per definition, is one person stimulating another person's genitals with their hands. So only one set of genitals is involved, which means that there is no direct contact between genitals. And it takes direct contact to create a pregnancy risk.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KoreyA
Activist
Member # 108779

Thank you for the reply Joey

That clears up a lot, just on my last question there, does my semen touching her haute any risks to her or only if it's oral and genital?

Also, you said if I put on a condom well in advance or keeps pants on. I am assuming even if I do get my hands covered in ejaculate, it's still fine as long as I wash them with soap and then proceed to finger her? Is my understanding correct here?

Thank you all again!

Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Infections can be transmitted from one person's body fluids to another. So, if one person has an infection, it can be transmitted via semen through cut, broken or damaged skin into the other person's bloodstream. If the skin is not a mucous membrane (for example, inside the nose, vagina or anus) and is not damaged, the chance of infection is very small. That small chance exists because it's impossible to be certain that the skin is free from micro-abrasions. Hands, particularly, might have micro-abrasions from the everyday work that we do with them. So, for manual sex, the safest sex that it's possible to have is with gloves.

Washing your hands will completely deal with the semen on them, both for pregnancy risks and for infection risks from that semen. It'll also make it much less likely that any bugs from the air or anything else will be put onto the genitals - it's always best to wash hands before putting them on or in genitals, no matter what we've been doing first. As above, though, there is a small possibility of transmitting infections through micro-abrasions in the skin, so again, the safest kind of manual sex is with gloves.

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only way you can have a pregnancy risk is if you ejaculate in your partner's vagina, or directly on her genital area.

If you get anything on your hands, you can go ahead and wash it off and that's enough. And washing your hands before engaging in manual sex is a good idea anyway to reduce the risk of infection.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KoreyA
Activist
Member # 108779

Ok thank you very much, so regardless of what we do when it comes to fluids on hands, if I wash my hands before fingering her the chances of pregnancy is 0 and the chance of infection is very low?

Thanks for all the help yet again!

Ninnyd58
Neophyte
Member # 109097

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ninnyd58     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a similar question, yesterday my boyfriend fingered me while i gave him a handjob, i think he kind of got precum or something that makes his penis wet, and then he like stroked his penis a little bit after that, and then went back to fingering me. It was like not all the way in, his finger, and he said his fingers barely got any precum, almost he had no recollection of getting his fingers wet before fingering me again. But could there be a possibility that i could get pregnant?? This is really freaking me out.

[ 12-15-2013, 07:54 PM: Message edited by: Ninnyd58 ]

Posts: 6 | Registered: Dec 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.