Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Plan B effectiveness during Ovulation and if you take pill within 2 hours

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Plan B effectiveness during Ovulation and if you take pill within 2 hours
kimshaffer909
Neophyte
Member # 108829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimshaffer909     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi:
What is the effectiveness of Plan B during Ovulation or when you take it in the middle of cycle (after unprotected Sex?) if you take pill within 2 hours?
I read in internet and most people say that its not that effective as if you take 1st /4th week of cycle.
I noticed that you guys giving very experienced answers and helping lot of teens here.
Please help me..

--------------------
-KIm

Posts: 8 | From: Dallas | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kim,

Here is some information on Plan B, including effectiveness rates.

Emergency Contraception (Plan B or the Morning-After-Pill)

The primary way emergency contraception has been shown to work is by suppressing or delaying ovulation.

The thing is that unless someone has charted their cycle every day for several months, through taking their basal body temperature and examining their cervical mucus, they will not know when they ovulate. Keeping track of the weeks of the cycle doesn't actually tell anyone whether they've ovulated or not.

So, if someone has a pregnancy risk, wishes not to become pregnant, and chooses to take emergency contraception, they should do so as soon as possible after the risk. It's also sound to test for pregnancy a few weeks after the risk to ensure that the Plan B did it's job.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimshaffer909
Neophyte
Member # 108829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimshaffer909     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Robin. I really appreciate for taking time and reply to my question. I took the Plan B in 2 hours after risk.
got the period after 13 days (week early).
took the blood test on 25th day of risk (got Negative)
took the HPT 35th day of risk (got Negative)
took the HPT 42nd day of risk (got Negative)

Now i am on my second period (after risk). Do you think i am 100% clear from getting pregnent. I Never had sex since the last risk (6th Oct).
I am reading Internet lot and getting all crazy info.. i.e people get PERIODS even they are pregnent.
I am so worried.

Please help.

--------------------
-KIm

Posts: 8 | From: Dallas | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kim,

I'd say that all of those negative results, plus two periods, means you're not pregnant. It's not actually possible for someone to be pregnant and still have their period.

It may also be helpful to read over this article, so you can have a sense of what sex ed is accurate.
http://www.scarleteen.com/article/crisis/legit_or_unfit_finding_safe_sound_sex_educators_support_online

[ 11-19-2013, 11:21 AM: Message edited by: Sam W ]

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimshaffer909
Neophyte
Member # 108829

Thank you Sam:

I have one last question. I have PCOS (Polycystic ovary syndrome), and when i googling, some people mentioned that HCL levels are low when people have PCOS.
Is it true.

Thank you.

--------------------
-KIm

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is really something to discuss with your healthcare provider. Not only are the super-specifics of PCOS outside our expertise, but this is also only something you could find out with your own bloodwork done.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimshaffer909
Neophyte
Member # 108829

Hi Heather:
Once again thank you for your reply.
Bloodwork for HCG levels or for for PCOS.

I have bloodwork after 25th day of risk and it came out Negative. Do you think it's too early to have bloodwork.

Please advise

Thank you

--------------------
-KIm

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I meant about your HCG levels and with anything related to your PCOS, you want to talk to your healthcare provider.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.