Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » abortion pill cost question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: abortion pill cost question
pineapple soda
Neophyte
Member # 107382

Icon 5 posted      Profile for pineapple soda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello!

So this past Saturday night/Sunday morning, my boyfriend and I were having dry sex, both of us with underwear on. At some point I think my underwear *may* have slipped off to the side, but his penis had definitely slipped through the fly in his boxers. Good news is a) I caught it almost immediately b) the tip was pressed off to the side and at most probably was touching my outer labia and c) if it actually had pushed aside my underwear and made contact with my vagina, it was probably for no more than a few seconds at most. There was also definitely precum, but no actual ejaculate and he hadn't ejaculated for a couple of days beforehand.

I've read all of the articles relating to pregnancy scares so I'm not too worried. The only thing that does make me uneasy is that I am roughly in the middle of my cycle and could possibly be ovulating right now. I've considered taking Plan B, but decided not to because I did once before and it really messed with my cycle for a long time afterwards, and according to the articles my risk wasn't that large.

So, just in case on the super slim chance that I might turn out to be pregnant, I was wondering about the abortion pill and how much it would cost? I saw from the abortion article that it can be anywhere from $450 - $1000+, but what exactly makes it more or less expensive on a case-to-case basis?

I hope I don't seem like I'm overreacting or jumping the gun, but I just want to be informed and prepared for the worst. Thanks [Smile]

Posts: 10 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes getting practical information is the only thing we can do and planning in advance for what we can is a comfort, I understand. It seems highly unlikely you'll need to use this information this time, but still.

Generally,what makes the pill range in cost comes down to a provider-to-provider, or clinic-to-clinic difference, and that difference can also be due to whether or not private or public healthcare covers any of the cost.

[ 11-18-2013, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67055 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pineapple soda
Neophyte
Member # 107382

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pineapple soda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the information, Heather [Smile]

So if I were to go to my local Planned Parenthood, which does offer the medical abortion, what would be a rough estimate of the costs? They gave a price range similar to the one that the article listed, but nothing really specific. Or does it vary between individual Planned Parenthood clinics as well?

Posts: 10 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would say the range they provided is your best estimate but, like Heather said, it may vary from clinic to clinic. So calling the clinic you'd be going to is probably the best way to get an answer.
Posts: 932 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Edith_*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Pineapple soda! [Smile]

This is a question that only Planned Parenthood can answer, because it will depend on many things the will ask you. You can always call them and they will be happy to help you with any information you need. [Smile]

Do you need any help finding the closest PP clinic to you? If so, that is something we can help you with. [Smile]

--------------------
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it " (...'cause no one else will) -Gandhi-

Posts: 372 | From: Somewhere over the rainbow* | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pineapple soda
Neophyte
Member # 107382

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pineapple soda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've already located the Planned Parenthood closest to me, but thank you for offering. [Smile] In that case I think I'll give them a call, but hopefully I won't actually be needing those services! Hoping that test will come out negative. >.<

Thank you all so much for your help. I'll keep you updated about what happens. Fingers crossed. [Smile]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.