Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Immaculate Chlamydia ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Immaculate Chlamydia ?
SinatraBabe_21
Neophyte
Member # 39133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SinatraBabe_21     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone I havent been on this site since my teen years and have ran into an issue.

I'm 25 and been with my current boyfriend for 5 years now. Prior to our relationship we both had a number of partners (me 12, him probably in the 50s if not more). Some with condoms.

I recieve a yearly pap smear. He hasnt been tested for an STI since sometime in college before we met. My STI test was negative for Chlamydia in 2011 (it says so in my chart even though I dont remember being asked to do that test). In 2012 my OBGYN allowed me to skip the test because it is expensive and I'm in a monogamus relationship.

On Friday I had an IUD placed. It hurt so unbelievably bad and I fainted 3 times and had to stay in the room for an hour to recover. My OBGYN ordered an Chylamydia and Gonnorhea test as she suspected an infection. She also conducted an ultrasound which showed the IUD was placed well. The test came back positive for chlyamydia. I took 2 arthromycin pills (1000mg total) last night. I have cramping today. I have no other symptoms other than a bit of an odor.

My boyfriend and I went to his doctor today. His doctor basically told us to have a serious conversation about my monogamy as he did not have any symptoms and his prelimanry urine test did not show anything. We are awaiting blood test tomorrow.

I have not so much as even kissed another man in 5 years so I am utterly confused.

I'm wondering if I contracted it 5+ years ago and it is just now showing. Also, I've been on and off doxycycline for acne a few times over the last couple years so maybe thats why it was negative on that one test. But still how could I re-contract?

I'm worried about PID and my fertility because I do have Sacroilitis (lower back pain) which I just attributed to needing to work out. My OBGYN said she doesnt see any signs of this and their nurse basically told me chylamydia is not a dormant thing even though I've read a lot online. She says I must have contracted it within the last month.

I've been reading a lot and have noticed a couple threads with very confused monogamus long term couples.
[Confused]
Any input is appreciated!

Posts: 16 | From: Nowheresville | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Sinatrababe,

I'm sorry to hear you're going through this. I just have a couple of clarifying questions.

Has your boyfriend actually been tested for chlamydia and had the test come back negative (I am unclear as to what "preliminary test" means in this instance)? Because, in most cases, chlamydia will not produce symptoms, so him not having symptoms is not a guarantee that he is not positive for chlamydia as well.

Secondly, what type of contraceptive do you and your boyfriend use?

[ 11-13-2013, 08:52 PM: Message edited by: Sam W ]

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to verify what your Ob/Gyn and nurse told you, by all means having untreated Chlamydia for years is something that would be highly unlikely not to have shown signs of serious effects on your reproductive health by now. As well, as I understand it, the last time you were tested, you were negative, so it seems clear that isn't a possibility regardless.

Of course, part of the trouble here, and part of the trouble in having a good answer, is that it sounds like your boyfriend hasn't been tested since before you were even together or before, I assume, you stopped using condoms together. But, as Sam also alluded to, more conversation about this may be premature until his test results come back from the lab. As Sam also mentioned, in case it wasn't clear, chlamydia is an infection that rarely shows visible symptoms, especially in people with penises. if his doctor thinks it does, his education may be out of date (and from the appalling way he talked to and about you in the office, it seems pretty clear to me that at the very least, he hasn't either had or paid attention to any professional training on how you communicate with patients or their partners around STIs).

By the by, I am so sorry you had someone put you through that and talk to you that way. That is NEVER a way a healthcare professional should be talking with anyone when discussing sensitive issues like these.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just in case no one told you this when your IUD was placed, it is a basic standard of care to test for STIs before placement, because the risk of complications from infections is high in the first three weeks afterwards.

Because you still do not know your boyfriends status, you will absolutely want to be sure to use condoms in these next few weeks after placement to protect your health, okay?

Again, you may have been told this already by your doctor, since it is all standard practice and standards of care, but wanted to make sure we did just in case you were not,

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SinatraBabe_21
Neophyte
Member # 39133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SinatraBabe_21     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heather,

You're correct we have not used condoms in over 4 years. The doctor we saw was a younger doctor who was very professional. He could obviously tell that we were trying to figure out how I contracted it but he was doing his best professionally and only kept repeating that it is only contracted sexually and since my boyfriend tested NEGATIVE (I was saying it was an implication of us needing to discuss my fidelity).

After reading about this I now realize that my doctor didn't do her due diligence in testing me prior to insertion even though I had just had a PAP done months prior where we discussed my desire for an IUD. I called today and we discussed that my records indicate no signs of damage. She also indicated that if my boyfriend tested NEGATIVE then I had contracted elsewhere.

The test my boyfriend came back negative for was a urine swab and the doctor said he saw NO signs of any bacterial infection so he highly doubts the actual chlamydia test will come back positive.

Posts: 16 | From: Nowheresville | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SinatraBabe_21
Neophyte
Member # 39133

Also,

He was prescribed 1,000mg of zpack even though he's negative. He is planning on taking it tonight after work. How long should we wait before stopping condoms?
Thanks!

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi SinatraBabe_21,

Even though your boyfriend's doctor made an educated guess about your boyfriend's test result, there's actually no way to know what that result will be until the results come back from the lab.

As Heather mentioned, you'll want to use condoms for the next few weeks as you just had an IUD inserted.

It's sound, though, for you to continue using condoms until you both are retested and your tests come back negative.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.