Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Brown "Period" 10 Days Early?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Brown "Period" 10 Days Early?
burgundyrose
Neophyte
Member # 108421

Icon 1 posted      Profile for burgundyrose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there! So I've kind of been freaking out since Thursday about this "period" which doesn't look like much of a period to me, but I'm not sure what else to call it. But anyways, let me explain.

On Thursday afternoon, I noticed that there was a really small amount of pink on the toilet paper when I wiped. I figured it might have been maybe a cut or something from the night before (I masturbated Wednesday night with insertion, but only fingers). Basically, there wasn't much flow at all, the only thing I could think of referring to it as is "spotting" because that's what it was; just a couple of spots. Anyhow, I figured if it was a cut, it would stop bleeding and I would be okay.

I started getting cramps, however, about half an hour later and the flow seemed to get heavier (and only by very, very little) overnight, just enough to be a little more visible on the toilet paper. That was yesterday; I monitored it all day and the blood was mostly brown. I did try inserting a finger to see what was going on, and it came out in a rainbow of colours (sorry for the horrible visual lol!), all red and brown and with dark brown clumps and flecks. I was still getting slight abdominal and back cramps yesterday and I'm getting them today as well. The blood seems to be a little heavier today, but still nothing even close to what a normal period looks like for me, and it's still brown and clumpy. A usual period for me is pretty heavy (about 4 heavy flow pads a day), with some clots and lots of cramping the whole way through.

My cycles are usually about 43 days long on average, from the first day of one period to the first day of the next. This "period" arrived on the 34th day, making me about 10 days early. I'm not on any form of birth control. I'm used to being maybe slightly late on periods but never ever early. Also, I usually get some pms symptoms about 1 to 2 weeks before my period arrives, including breast tenderness and cramping. I didn't experience any of that this time.

My last period was from September 28 to October 3rd (about a normal length for me), and it was EXTREMELY heavy (heavier than usual) with a lot of clots and cervical mucous.

The last time I was sexually active was September 5th, and I posted about it on here as well (here's the link http://www.scarleteen.com/cgi-bin/forum/ultimatebb.cgi?/ubb/get_topic/f/28/t/007458/p/1.html#000004). I was told that there wasn't any real risk of pregnancy, and anyhow I got my period later that month. I haven't had ANY sexual contact with anyone at all besides myself since then.

I tried google searching my situation and of course, most of what I find is about implantation bleeding or bleeding related to pregnancy. I keep telling myself this can't be implantation bleeding because my last encounter couldn't have gotten me pregnant, but there doesn't seem to be a real answer to this...

I should probably note that I HAVE experienced a few periods like this, but I was about 11 or 12 at the time and had just started my period so my cycles hadn't really evened out yet. I haven't had anything of the sort since, which is why I'm kind of freaking out right now.

Could there be something wrong with me or is this some sort of normal variation in my cycle, like my body resetting itself or something?

[ 11-02-2013, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: burgundyrose ]

Posts: 11 | From: Canada | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, it sounds like this bleeding started around the time you were expecting a period, and it's heavier than spotting, but not as heavy as you are used from your periods. Do I get that right?

It sounds very much to mel like you are describing a period, rater than implantation bleeding or spotting (and if you haven't had any risks since your last period, you can rule out that possibility anyway).

So, that leaves us with a slightly irregular period. That's not unusual at all, and nothing to be worried about.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9187 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
burgundyrose
Neophyte
Member # 108421

Icon 1 posted      Profile for burgundyrose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose you could say it's somewhere around the time I'd be expecting a period, but 10 days early. I'm not really sure how to describe the flow, though, I've never really experienced spotting before. All I can really say is that it's much much lighter than I'm used to; it's kind of similar to the bleeding I experience on the last day of my period.

I guess the reason I'm freaking out about this is because it's early and brown... Is there anything really specific that could have caused an irregularity like this? I <i>have</i> been under a lot of stress lately with school, so could that maybe be a factor?

Posts: 11 | From: Canada | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you've got a heavy enough flow to fill pads, then you're beyond spotting.

There's really nothing to be worried about concering the color. Periods consist of blood as well as tissue, so it's not unusual at all for period blood to look a bit "clumpy" as you described above, or to be brown or even almost black in color. So, again: nothing here is sounding unusual.

Stress certainly can impact your menstrual cycle. But as well, bodies aren't machines, so menstrual cycles will be a bit irregular from time to time. In fact, if your periods have been starting 43 days apart like a clockwork so far, and lasted the same amount of days, that really would mean that you've been unusually regular.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

Posts: 9187 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
burgundyrose
Neophyte
Member # 108421

That does make sense, I guess there's always going to be irregularities in my cycles; I can't be regular every single month! Thank you so much for the reassurance and the quick replies too! [Big Grin]
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Glad to hear you're feeling better! You're welcome [Smile]

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.