Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Birth Control Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth Control Question
Quester
Neophyte
Member # 108237

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi- I've been on birth control for 6 months and seem to keep getting substantial breakthrough bleeding on week 2 or 3 of my active pills to the point where it almost feels like I'm getting my period twice a month. (last month was the only month this didn't happen so I thought Finally my body had adjusted to the pill but once again I have just started bleeding at the end of week 2 of active pills) It is frustrating and I always worry that it's implantation bleeding or something (even though I have done no risky activity).
Is this the new normal or is the pill not working properly for me? Ugh.

Posts: 31 | From: Texas | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see any reason to think that this is indicating that the pill isn't working properly; some people do experience some breakthrough bleeding when on the pill but that doesn't have anything to do with how well it's working.

As this is frustrating you, have you talked to your doctor about it at all? Some folks don't have great experiences with one pill brand and are happier trying a different one, and your doctor could work on this with you.

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quester
Neophyte
Member # 108237

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have talked to her but said I would keep trying this one for a few months. Given that I have only had manual sex once in the last month, would it be safe to rule out any pregnancy concerns?
Posts: 31 | From: Texas | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quester
Neophyte
Member # 108237

Another question - is breakthrough bleeding typically very similar to a period?
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know we've talked about whether manual sex poses a pregnancy risk before; if you need a refresher on that you can refer back to your earlier posts or look here: Can I Get Pregnant, or Get or Pass On an STI From That?

Breakthrough bleeding varies from person to person; sometimes it's light spotting, and other times it's going to be heavier like a period. Since your doctor's aware of the situation, she's definitely someone to go to if you have further concerns here. It sounds like your options right now are to stick it out a little while longer or go back and investigate further birth control options.

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quester
Neophyte
Member # 108237

Ok thanks - I know there is no risk. It's just that the first time I ever had breakthrough bleeding a nurse told me to take a pregnancy test (to rule anything out..although she didn't know my sexual activity history). So now everytime I have spotting I get completely freaked out thinking that you have to take a preg test to rule anything out ... Which sends my anxiety through the roof and I'm sick of dealing with this. I guess I have to keep reminding myself that spotting/breakthrough bleeding isn't a sign of pregnancy. It's just that what the nurse said continues to freak me out :/
Quester
Neophyte
Member # 108237

But according to the risk chart - buying a test would be another waste of money and an undo source of anxiety??
I think her initial assumption / advice to 'just test to make sure all bases are covered' is what has perpetuated my anxiety for so long. Because I keep having breakthrough bleeding and therefore feel like I need to rule pregnancy out. Ugh!!!!!! Any advice??

Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Many times, doctors and nurses will suggest pregnancy tests as part of routine care just to be sure that patients aren't pregnant. Especially since you say she didn't ask about your sexual history, you can be pretty sure that this wasn't in response to a specific pregnancy risk, but just a point of procedure for the nurse.

Maybe if you keep fixating on the pregnancy issue here, this article would be worth a read: You're Not Pregnant - Why Do You Think You Are?

And certainly if you feel like your anxiety level is becoming hard to deal with here, it may be a good idea to dial back sexual activity in general, and/or see if you can talk with a mental health care provider about how to manage these fears.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.