Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Paranoia

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Paranoia
SecretAlphabet
Neophyte
Member # 95975

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SecretAlphabet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Scarleteen,
A few months ago my boyfriend and I had anal sex without a condom, although I am on the pill and have been for about four years. We had anal sex a few days into my pill free week,however, I was not yet on my period. He did not ejaculate inside me as after a few minutes I wanted to stop, despite enjoying it, because I felt it unwise to not be using a condom.
We've been in a monogamous relationship for five years and we were each other's 'firsts', so I think an STI risk is negligible here.
I think I'm a pretty good pill user - never missed one - and I take them more or less at the same time every night - in a matter of a few hours.
I have had periods or withdrawal bleeds since (three I think) but I've read some crazy stuff about people being pregnant and still having periods and that massively freaked me out!
I'm having quite a stressful time at university at the moment and I'm having some anxiety issues ... and basically this incident is playing on my mind a lot. I'm very paranoid about being pregnant. I've tried and tried to rationalise this, but my paranoid mind won't co-operate! I am thinking about seeing a doctor about my anxiety problems and why the pregnancy scare thing seems to be the culmination of it all.
So really I'm asking for an opinion on my risk and a maybe a little advice.

Thanks so much.

Posts: 5 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since you are having a hard time letting this go, have you taken the first step of going ahead and taking a pregnancy test to see if looking at that negative result helps you out?

Have you also helped yourself by limiting your reading about this in general, or at the very least, limiting it ONLY to credentialed, reliable sources, meaning sites like ours or Brook, talks with healthcare providers, etc?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SecretAlphabet
Neophyte
Member # 95975

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SecretAlphabet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't taken a pregnancy test. I've considered it, but then I think 'this is ridiculous. I'm not pregnant. I don't need to', but then in the back of my mind there's always 'what if?'.
You're right, I need to stop googling things! I've chatted to my friend about it and she's reassured me that I'm not and that she's had the occasional scare too.
Whenever I get stressed or anxious this always crops up. I think it's because my ultimate fear would be to fall pregnant now and mess my life up ... so whenever I do have a bit of a freak out I fall back onto this worry.

Posts: 5 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it is certainly not rational at this point, but there it is, all the same.

So, why don't you go ahead and take that basic step of taking the test? That way, you can see if the clear, rational fact of a test telling you you are not pregnant helps or doesn't. If it does: yay! If it doesn't, then sounds like the next step of seeking out a mental healthcare provider to evaluate this for you is a sound one.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.