Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Questions about doctor

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Questions about doctor
saraa
Activist
Member # 40542

Icon 11 posted      Profile for saraa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, I'm 20 years old and before the summer I got accepted by a doctor in my city. I haven't had one since my paediatrician could last see me when I was 18. I went away for the summer and now I am back. I have a few questions about what to do. I've never had a physical or anything like that.

Does my doctor do the entire physical? Mammogram, gynaecological part of a physical, etc...

I'd like to know this before I call and sound dumb.

[ 10-01-2013, 10:23 AM: Message edited by: saraa ]

--------------------
-saraa.

Posts: 55 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Saraa,

First of all, let me assure you that if you call your doctor's office and ask them questions, you won't sound dumb. [Smile] They're used to getting patient questions, and they don't expect you to know the answers.

It's unlikely that you'll have a mammogram unless you have a family history of breast cancer or the doctor finds something problematic during a breast exam that they think warrants further investigation. Even then, a mammogram is typically done at the same place you'd get any other X-rays or other medical tests.

Whether or not you have your GP provide your gynecological care is really up to you, and also whether your doctor provides that care or refers their patients to a gynecologist.

we have an article on doctor visits that you might find helpful.

http://www.scarleteen.com/article/body/dealing_with_doctors_taking_control_of_your_health_care_destiny

Does this answer some of your questions?

And again, it's perfectly appropriate to ask your doctor's office what to expect. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saraa
Activist
Member # 40542

Icon 1 posted      Profile for saraa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a history of breast cancer and other cancers in my family. Would I tell my doctor I need to get one or would she set up a date and stuff for it? & I've never seen a gyno either.

That article did help!

--------------------
-saraa.

Posts: 55 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your doctor will go through your health history with you and the two of you can talk together about whether a mammogram or any other tests would be appropriate for you.

Given your age, and depending on what your insurance would cover, your doctor may or may not recommend a mammogram.

Again, she'll go through all this with you, plus anything else on your health history. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saraa
Activist
Member # 40542

Icon 1 posted      Profile for saraa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
okay, thanks so much!

--------------------
-saraa.

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

You're welcome. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.