Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Wondering

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wondering
Silent29
Activist
Member # 108520

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silent29     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My boyfriend and I has sex. Well it was somewhat sex since he only entered me once.. I have since then had four periods but for some reason my period is a few days late. All my periods have been like any other periods I have had I'm the past. They consisted of cramping and a heavy flow.. Could I be pregnant?
Posts: 56 | From: Georgia | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really, the only way to get a sound answer to "Am I pregnant?" is to take a test.

However, with four menstrual periods since intercourse, you can be as certain as it gets that if you took a test, the result would be negative.

Know that a period classified as "late" in a medical framework tends to mean a period more than five days later than the latest you'd expect it. That's because cycle deviations of a few days is very common and normal, and for plenty of people, happens often during a lifetime.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68080 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silent29
Activist
Member # 108520

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silent29     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I forgot to mention that we used a condom.
Posts: 56 | From: Georgia | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really doesn't matter at this point: like I said, you have had four menstrual periods. Clearly, you're not pregnant.

But if you're looking for the only sound way to affirm that, it's to take a pregnancy test.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68080 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silent29
Activist
Member # 108520

What if it doesn't come on the five days after the latest I expect it to come?
Heather
Member # 3

Then it doesn't. Sometimes periods are missed or even skip.

And then you get to decide what, if anything, you need to do for yourself around that. If you find you still are worried about being pregnant, and the facts aren't working for you, then again, you can take a pregnancy test. Which you could also do anytime, including right now.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Silent29
Activist
Member # 108520

Ok.. Thank you a lot.. I guess I'm paranoid cause I have never had a period that has did this..
Heather
Member # 3

And how many years have you had your periods for?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Silent29
Activist
Member # 108520

For about ten years
Heather
Member # 3

Okay.

So, chances are that in the first couple years of your period, you were not super-regular, since pretty much no one is. But you likely don't remember that.

Too, do know that periods will fluctuate or change over time in our lives, often way more than just once. Our bodies aren't static -- aren't like machines, they change a lot, as does all that impacts them -- so our periods aren't, either. Even when they are, as they sometimes very rarely are, SO like clockwork -- the exact number of days in every cycle, without any deviation -- for years, it's highly unlikely that kind of a pattern will stick for a lifetime. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Silent29
Activist
Member # 108520

So what you are saying is that this is usual?
Heather
Member # 3

Yep. Cycle deviations are far more common than never having them, which, in a lifetime, is basically impossible.

In other words, in all the years you will menstruate, you are simply not going to have exactly the same cycle timing, or kinds of cycles, every month for decades without any changes or hiccups. Just isn't going to happen.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Silent29
Activist
Member # 108520

Ok.. Thank you a lot..
Silent29
Activist
Member # 108520

When a girl's discharge is white and paste like what does that indicate?
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a normal type of discharge that usually occurs at the less fertile times of the month. You can read more about that here:
Honorably Discharged: A Guide to Vaginal Secretions

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silent29
Activist
Member # 108520

Ok. I read it. Do all women have this particular type of discharge even women who are pregnant?
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We can't speak to what every single person experiences in terms of discharge, but pregnant people may experience some changes in their discharge, such as an increase in the amount of clear or white discharge.
Posts: 1269 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silent29
Activist
Member # 108520

Since white discharge occurs during less fertile times in a monthly cycle can that also indicate that a menstruation (periods) is about to start?
Heather
Member # 3

It can be for some people, while for others it might not be. Especially since thicker discharge is also common right around the time a period ends for many people.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Silent29
Activist
Member # 108520

Thanks Heather.. I'm just trying to get a better understanding on vaginal secretions..
Silent29
Activist
Member # 108520

Do you have any other articles i could maybe read about vaginal discharge?
Heather
Member # 3

We've already given you the one we have, and really, there is not much more to say about it broadly than you see in that piece. If you want more about discharges, you can put "discharge" into the search engine for the site and find, for yourself, other places where we discuss this (which is what we ask users to do before making posts here anyway).

There's not, however, going to be a piece online that can somehow tell someone exactly what is going on with their discharge without looking at them and it, having a heal history, and running tests for possible infections, if and when that is needed. Online discharge psychics: not a thing. [Smile]

If and when you have questions about your own specific discharges, and are not comfortable just observing them over time, then your healthcare provider is the person to talk with.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Silent29
Activist
Member # 108520

I'm sorry.. But i guess cause I'm on my phone i don't know where the search engine for this site..
Heather
Member # 3

On the main site, not the boards, it is on the top right of every page. On the mobile site, it is right on the front page with the other couple options the mobile site gives you.

Or, you could wait until you are not using your phone: after all, this will wait.

If, however, this is still you worrying about a pregnancy, you are going to be a LOT better served by taking a pregnancy test, as suggested, than by trying to divine whether you are pregnant or not by your discharges alone, which even a doctor cannot do.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Silent29
Activist
Member # 108520

I wanted to acknowledge and thank you all for answering my questions that i have. And I wanted to say that all information that is given is very informative and helpful. Wish I could've found this site earlier on but I'm glad I found it when I did.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.