Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Did I take my pregnancy test at the right time?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Did I take my pregnancy test at the right time?
ardais
Neophyte
Member # 108505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ardais     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello! Some days ago (Sept. 7th) I was engaging in dry sex with my partner (we were both naked, but we put a towel between us), and the "sticky" part of the semen seeped through onto my crotch, leaving it damp. (Note: I am sure it wasn't me - my own fluids have a significantly less sticky texture.)

When he got up, his ejaculate dripped down. I think most of it was on the sheet, but now I'm not quite sure.

I'm aware that this isn't really a pregnancy risk, but I was due for my period about three days after that, and it didn't come. On Sept. 17th, which was:

• the 41st day since the first day of my last period
  • the 6th day since my expected period for the month, as calculated by one of those iphone thingies
  • 3 days longer than the longest gap between periods I'd previously experienced
  • 10 days since this incident

I took a pregnancy test. It was negative. However, I know Scarleteen recommends testing 14 days after an incident. Was my test likely valid? Should I go test again? It's a huge pain getting them and I feel vaguely judged when doing so. [Frown]

Posts: 3 | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ardais and welcome to Scarleteen,

As we make clear in this article, pregnancy tests are known to be accurate when taken 14 or more days after a pregnancy risk.

Peeing on a Stick: All About Pregnancy Tests

If you did not have direct contact between bare genitals, or direct contact between semen and your bare vulva, pregnancy is unlikely to occur. Direct contact between semen and a bare vulva means that the semen came directly from the penis onto the vulva.

If you think that this happened, and are concerned about pregnancy, you will want to test again to be sure.

Also, unless you're inputting specific data about your cycle into your iphone app, it's really not going to be able to tell you anything useful about when your period should or will come.

What was the date of your last period? Do your periods generally come after the same number of days, or does the number of days between periods vary?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ardais
Neophyte
Member # 108505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ardais     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been tracking my periods with the app since March. My periods are generally between 33-38 days. The shortest was last month's period, 30 days; the first day of that period was August 8th. I'm now on day 45.

[ 09-20-2013, 11:13 AM: Message edited by: ardais ]

Posts: 3 | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nodding...I can certainly understand why you'd be concerned. There are plenty of reasons your period could be late.

M.I.A or, Dude, Where's My Period?

Based on the information you've read here, would you like to take another pregnancy test? Would it be helpful to talk about your discomfort in going to get the test?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ardais
Neophyte
Member # 108505

Thank you, but I don't feel comfortable discussing it on a public forum, though I would be more than happy to discuss it with you in some privacy.

I will go take another pregnancy test, though, to be sure.

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

You're welcome. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.