Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Is Plan B overkill?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is Plan B overkill?
amiraamira
Neophyte
Member # 108287

Icon 11 posted      Profile for amiraamira     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there! I'm new here, so I hope I'm posting this in the right place.

I'm on a Beyaz (which is a combo pill) and I usually use a condom as backup protection. Last night, I'm worried that the condom might have overflowed a little bit as some semen had worked itself up the sides. I also, uh, checked to see if any was on me after I finished cleaning up everything, so now I'm also worried that there may have been some on my hands.

My question is, is my birth control (with pretty typical use) enough to keep me safe here, or should I go for emergency contraception? The latest I've ever taken a pill is around 7 hours off, and lately it's been more like 1-5 hours off, if anything. So I' haven't always been taking them at the exact same time, but I've never missed a whole extra 24 hrs or anything.

I'm just a little shaken since I'm not used to having problems with backup condoms.

Sorry if this is a silly question! Thank you for your help!

Posts: 4 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there. [Smile]

Ultimately, between the condom -- which, if put on properly really can't overflow, what people think is semen in these cases is usually a small amount of lube all whipped up which looks a lot like semen -- and your pill, there's really nothing else for Plan B to do those two things haven't already done.

So, it's really up to you, but I'd say using it would be more about appeasing or quieting your worries than about doing anything to prevent pregnancy your pill isn't already doing, and more effectively, no less.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amiraamira
Neophyte
Member # 108287

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amiraamira     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, thank you!

And sorry to keep pestering, but for future worries, is taking the pill a few hours late fine?

Also, I don't think I left enough room at the tip of the condom and that's why went up the sides...when I pulled it off it dripped and that usually doesn't happen when it's all in the tip of the condom...xx

[ 08-18-2013, 06:23 PM: Message edited by: amiraamira ]

Posts: 4 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No worries.

With the combined pill, you want to aim to take them around the same time of day, because it's harder to forget, basically. But you have a 12-hour window, every day, to take them before they are late.

So, yes, that's fine and shouldn't impact a pill's effectiveness.

And I gotcha with the condom then: without room left in the tip it'll usually burst, but that can happen, too.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amiraamira
Neophyte
Member # 108287

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amiraamira     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you very much for clearing that up!

So basically, I've (almost surely) been taking my pills well enough to prevent ovulation/implantation, and therefore, Plan B would have nothing to prevent, right?

I really appreciate your help!

Heather
Member # 3

That's pretty much it, yep. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

amiraamira
Neophyte
Member # 108287

Thank you so very much, you are an angel!
Have a lovely night [Smile]

Heather
Member # 3

You're very welcome, you too. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.