Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Latex allergy ? Yeast infection? UTI? The whole 9 yards?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Latex allergy ? Yeast infection? UTI? The whole 9 yards?
BreakingSilence
Activist
Member # 38098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BreakingSilence     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently started being sexually active again, and would you know I'm finally starting to catch onto something? I don't know if it was just too much sex, too much friction, if I didn't pee soon enough afterwards, if my clothes were too tight, didn't change my underwear enough or what, but since Sunday I've had a disaster on my hands. What I believe to be a yeast infection, UTI and a latex allergy. I know this all sounds insane, but I can't go to the Doctor because I don't have insurance. I feel 60% better than I did on Sunday. The yeast infection certainly subsided after using monistat 3. Now my urine still burns me a little. I am not sure if that's because when I pee it touches the rash/blisters (which is clearing up finally). We both have been tested for stds, but I have never had such a severe reaction to condoms before. However I never had so much intercourse before, so I guess I wouldn't have known. Previous time I used condoms a lot I got a yeast infection. I totally forgot that maybe I shouldn't have used the latex. What can I do for this "latex rash/blisters" is this common???

--------------------
Sometimes the only thing we can do is accept what we have no control over.

Posts: 313 | From: :) | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Destiny's Child,

As you said, this could be a reaction to the latex, or a severe reaction to too much friction. it could also be a reaction to any lubricant you used or that was on the condoms.

My best suggestion to you would be to wear loose clothing, gently clean the area with water only and no hard scrubbing from a washcloth, and find some affordable health care if you can. many people find pure aloe to be soothing to any skin irritations, so, as long as you don't suspect an allergy to aloe, you could try some aloe gel with nothing else added to it.

Do you have any free or low-cost clinics in your area that you know of?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BreakingSilence
Activist
Member # 38098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BreakingSilence     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you, Robin. All that I know of require you to receive assistance and to be on low income. I am starting a new job very soon so I will no longer have to worry about health care. I will get some pure aloe. I am trying everything, its very miserable. 3 months ago the dr gave me a prescription for free antibiotics (When he suspected an infection down there). I took them and had no issues. I had a refill so I went ahead and started taking those recently just to prevent any possible infection. I'm out of money now. So does a latex allergy have similar symptoms to a UTI?

--------------------

Posts: 313 | From: :) | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I understand, latex allergies can manifest differently for different people. Here's some info from the Mayo Clinic: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/latex-allergy/DS00621/DSECTION=symptoms

Repeated and prolonged vaginal intercourse can also, by the way, result in a urinary tract infection. So that may be what we're looking at here, or we may be looking at a combination of things.

Understand, I really can't tell you for sure what's going on, both because i'm not a healthcare provider and because, even if I were, it's impossible to examine someone over the internet.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BreakingSilence
Activist
Member # 38098

Thank you very much for the article. I completely understand what you mean. Sorry for asking so many questions. Thanks again for your help [Smile]

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.