Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Sex toy hygiene

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sex toy hygiene
srk20
Activist
Member # 59241

Icon 1 posted      Profile for srk20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently just purchased a Silicone vibrator from a touch of romance. When I was in the store they had a policy that every toy needs to be opened and battery tested before its sold so people were testing the items and putting them back after holdin them. I bought one and also bought evolved anti bacterial sex toy cleaner with it. I washed the toy with the cleaner before and after use. The cleaner itself didn't have specifics but am I protected against any stds/hepc/infections that could've been on the toy from someone touching it? I've never had a you before so I don't know how powerful these cleaners are.
Posts: 197 | From: California | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, you're protected; you can't contract an STI that way - including hepatitis C - and you've washed your toy with an anti-bacterial clenser. Any bacteria that may cause other kinds of infections will no longer be present.

--------------------
'Obtain the virgin's consent before you marry her' - Prophet Mohammad (pbuh)

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
srk20
Activist
Member # 59241

Icon 1 posted      Profile for srk20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sigh- thank you for that, makes me feel a lot better. Just as a follow up- I read somewhere that hep c can survive on surfaces for up to 6 weeks or some such long period of time and isn't killed by normal anti bacterial. Is this true? And is this something I should worry about? Again, I know the probability seems very small that someone would touch an item with a bleeding cut but since it's something that I inserted inside me, it's just gotten me slightly worried. Thanks again for your help.
Posts: 197 | From: California | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you remember where you came across that information? I've not seen any reliable sources that say this; like Saffron said, that's just not how Hep-C transmission happens.
Posts: 1316 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.