Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Just late or pregnant?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Just late or pregnant?
kxtherine
Neophyte
Member # 107815

Icon 4 posted      Profile for kxtherine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This forum has been so much help for me lately, and I might be posting a little too much, and I'm sorry for that, but I'm hoping this will be my last time.

Ok, well here's my story - I took Plan B to start my last cycle about a week early (on June 30th), then I had sex twice within the month of July. Both times we used a condom, and my partner pulled out before he ejaculated. Around the time of my ovulation, I was particularly dry (cervical mucus) and I was sick with the common cold. A few days after I got over my cold, I took the Gardasil & Hepatitis B shots at my doctors.

My period is now five days late. I took an HPT the day of my missed period, which was also 17 days after I had sex, and it came out negative, and I'm planning on taking another test in two days when I'm officially a week late.

My question is, if that test comes out negative, will I be in the clear? What should I do if my period STILL doesn't come even after that test? My senior year is starting in a few days, and I'm pretty sure I'll be stressed from that, and I'm starting my first job, so I'm afraid that my period will be delayed even further, thus leaving the thought of pregnancy in my head until I actually do get my period.

Also, the fact that I was sick around the time I was ovulating, plus got my shots, could be the reason I'm late too, right?

[ 08-04-2013, 01:21 AM: Message edited by: kxtherine ]

Posts: 12 | From: United States | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacob at Scarleteen
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 66249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacob at Scarleteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey,

You know, after taking your pregnancy test and again a second time, your period really isn't any longer an indicator of potential pregnancy. The same pregnancy hormones that would prevent ovulation are the ones which would be picked up by the pregnancy test, which is a far more accurate piece of information.

Here's an article about missed periods that I think might help: http://www.scarleteen.com/article/pink/m_i_a_or_dude_wheres_my_period

Some months, people just miss a period, for no reason other than that their body decided not to ovulate. Or of course it could be the vaccinations you had this year or the plan B have had an impact.

On top of all this I don't see how the sex you describe having in July could have caused pregnancy any way.

Posts: 694 | From: Leeds UK | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kxtherine
Neophyte
Member # 107815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kxtherine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Jacob! The article helped a bit, but I guess I'm just afraid that I'll turn out to be one of those girls who never get a positive on a urine test, you know?

I don't know. I think I read too many stories on Google.

Posts: 12 | From: United States | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
kxtherine: that is NOT real.

In other words, for people who truly are pregnant and remain pregnant up to delivery? There ARE no "those girls."

That's a fiction, delusion, or people not following instructions on tests, not a reality.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kxtherine
Neophyte
Member # 107815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kxtherine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have tried reasoning with myself about those stories I read online. That I don't know if they really are telling the truth, if they took the test correctly, or if they even tested at all. But I'm not always logical when it comes to scares.

Thank you for the reassurance, Heather!

Just to make things clear - having two negative pregnancy tests, a week apart, is a clear sign I am NOT pregnant, right? Even with my period taking her sweet time to show up.

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yepperdoodles.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kxtherine
Neophyte
Member # 107815

Alright. Thank you again! [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.