Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Need Reassurance

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need Reassurance
KJK2
Activist
Member # 104647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KJK2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've read most of the articles on the site but I kinda have some unanswered questions. First off, I take the birthcontrol Lo Loestrin Fe and it doesn't list perfect use but eventhough it is a low dosage BC does it still have the same efficiency rating like 99.7% when taken perfectly? Also I have hypothyroid and take synthroid for it, would that affect the pill?

Also to confirm the definition of perfect use is taking it around the same time? I take it about the same time everyday with maybe a 3 minute difference.

Finally, my boyfriend and I had protected sex with a condom. In one of your articles it said the percentage of perfect use is like 99% The condom didnt slip or break so is that considered perfect use?

In addition, I've had a light brown discharge with cramp like symptoms but it's around the time of my period and I had doubts whether it's implantation bleeding or not. This is because I'm kinda confused on what the perfect use of condoms are and lo loestrin's unlabeled perfect use ratings. I think I'm just over thinking all of this since I take the pill everyday at the same time and use condoms. Thanks [Smile]

--------------------
KJK2

Posts: 87 | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All combined pills, whether they are labeled as low dose or not, have the same effectiveness rating with perfect use. Whether or not your thyroid medication affects your pill is something you'd have to ask your doctor or pharmacist.

Taking your pill within three hours of your usual time is considered perfect use, so you're fine in that regard. With condoms, perfect use means using them every time, for all genital contact. As long as it did not slip off or break you can rest assured it did what it was supposed to.

Brown discharge is usually an indication that a bit of old blood is making its way out of your body. That, spotting, irregular bleeding: all of those things are quite common side effects of the pill, especially in the first few months of taking it. With two methods, the chances of pregnancy are very, very small, so implantation bleeding is not something you need to be concerned about. If you want to know what the effectiveness rate is for any combination of birth control methods, you can find that right here: The Buddy System: Effectiveness Rates for Backing Up Your Birth Control With a Second Method

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.