Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Birth Control Confusion

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth Control Confusion
watermeloncraze
Neophyte
Member # 107494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for watermeloncraze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So last month I didn't get my period because I took two Plan Bs in one month in addition to birth control so I know that messes up my period I bled very little but I took a test and I was fine. This month I've avoided Plan B all together because I take my pill everyday, but due to my overly cautious and scared self I have taken more than one pill in a day multiple times during this cycle. So I fear that I won't get my period, because of all the hormones. I understand that this can damage my body, but those pills are so small I'm afraid they go lost somewhere between my hand and my mouth. Anyway I have used protection every time I have sex and I take my pill everyday, and also my partner has never cum inside me or near me. So I'm wondering since I use protection every time if I miss my period will it be because of the Plan B in the last cycle and the overdosage on my birth control?
Posts: 23 | From: New York | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI Watermeloncraze,

The side effects from Plan B can, for many people, last for a few months. So yes, in addition to whatever impact you taking more pills than are prescribed in a cycle may have, your body may still be out of sync from the Plan B from last month.

I'm concerned to hear that you're taking the pill in a way that isn't prescribed. it sounds like daily birth control pills may not be the most effective birth control method for you given how much you're worried about it.

I'd suggest consulting with your healthcare provider to see if there's a method that you would feel more secure about using.

Would you like to talk about the other birth control options that are out there?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
watermeloncraze
Neophyte
Member # 107494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for watermeloncraze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't start out with the pill actually I started out with Deprovera and then switched because it made me very ill and I constantly felt nauseous, I would take it again because of how it is easier for me but I wish there was a way to curb the side effects.
Posts: 23 | From: New York | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you switched from Depo Provera to the pill, did you have a conversation with your healthcare provider about what your needs were around contraception?

Even if you did,it sounds like it's time for you to make another appointment and talk about how you're really not feeling secure using the pill and as a result are using it in a way that isn't prescribed. Together, you and your healthcare provider can talk about which method might be easier to use, and be least likely to cause you discomfort.

How does that sound

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.