Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Risk assessment + Birth control

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Risk assessment + Birth control
gmhomey123
Neophyte
Member # 107929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gmhomey123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, so this is my first time posting and i have a two part question:

1) Firstly, I am taking levlen ED pill and I take it like clock work. It was good for the first 10 months I took it, but now for the past 5 months I have been getting symptoms that I had before going on the pill eg (heavy periods again, increased breast tenderness, ovulation sympotms)... does that mean its not working and should I ask my doctor to put me on a high dosage pill? Can the pill just stop working? * also as far as those 5 months go I took pregnancy tests and weren't pregnant so it is completely random... :/

2) I was with my boyfriend and I had just gotten back from overseas and was pretty sketchy with my pill taking (I never missed one and took them all within a two hour time frame). Anyway I was on the 9th day in my active pills and I was touching him through his underpants and felt alot of precum on my fingers. I think it was atleast a 15 min time period later and i think i may have touched the outside of my vagina accidentally. So i freaked out because I already have concerns with the effectiveness of my existing pill and my recent lack of discipline in taking it so I went to the pharmacy and took plan B within an hour of the incident. I have read your information and am just checking that I have got it right and I am low risk?

thanks sorry I know im anxious i just want to check the facts with you and then I will move on and just wait until my period hopefully. I would really appreciate your answers [Smile]

Posts: 14 | From: Australia | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Scarleteen, GM!

No, the pill does not just stop working. If you are taking it as directed, it will do what it should. However, it is possible to start experiencing side effects you did not experience before, so if they are bothering you, you can certainly talk to your gynecologist about trying a different brand.

As for your second question, this article should help you assess your pregnancy risk: Can I Get Pregnant, or Get or Pass On an STI From That?

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gmhomey123
Neophyte
Member # 107929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gmhomey123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for answering my questions.

But just to clarify I looked at the article and am a little bit confused. Manual sex has no pregnancy risk apparently - but does that account for the sharing of fluids (eg precum)? Because it says Semen or Fluid sharing is high risk regarding pregnancy (but is that only for direct contact) ?

Posts: 14 | From: Australia | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi gmhomey123,

When we're talking about pregnancy, yes, there needs to be direct contact in order for there to be a risk. If there were exceptions to manual sex being no risk we would have mentioned those in the article. [Smile]

Does that help?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gmhomey123
Neophyte
Member # 107929

perfect!

Cheers for the timely reply [Smile] it has been very helpful - wish I didn't take plan B after all that was probably a waste of $40 [Razz]

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, now you know for next time.

Also, taking your daily birth control within a two-hour window is still considered taking it properly. [Smile]

So, not only was Plan B not needed because of the sexual activity not posing a risk, but it wasn't needed as you were indeed taking your pill properly and plan B does the same thing as daily birth control.

No harm, no foul, though. [Razz]
As the link joey gave you does say, sharing fluids does pose STI transmission risks. Are you and your boyfriend both up-to-date on your STI testing?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gmhomey123
Neophyte
Member # 107929

Thanks for all the help [Smile]

Yeah I take STI risks very seriously, i refused to sleep with him unless we both got tested prior [Smile]

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Sounds like you're set, then.

--------------------
Robin

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.