Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Breakthrough bleeding after sex?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Breakthrough bleeding after sex?
Anieke5656
Neophyte
Member # 97424

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anieke5656     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello! This pill cycle, I've recently engaged in intercourse three times, spanning within a two week time period after a dry spell of a couple months (all the same partner). I am on Beyaz, and have been since October. Last night, I had sex with my partner (no condom, just the BC) and upon waking up this morning I found I was bleeding - bright, red blood, similar to what I would experience during my withdrawal bleedings. It was minimal. I also have mild cramps. As a side note, initial insertion is quite painful though it usually dissipates within a minute or two. This pain has occurred since the first time I had sex, in August of 2012.

I'm very good about taking my pills. I have been taking my pills within the three hour period of my scheduled time. However, there was an instance during my first week that I drank a little too much and threw up, though I'm almost positive it was after the 3-4 hour window that my pill would count as a missed pill. (I take it at 5pm, if not earlier.) I still have three days of normal pills before I begin my placebo pills. Normally, I would start my "period" on the third day of the four placebo pills.

Anyway, I was wondering why this could be occurring? Could it be the friction from sex or what? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance! [Smile]

Posts: 23 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haleigh H
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 103145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haleigh H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Anieke5656,

It sounds like you are describing a couple of issues. Your period has arrived a few days early and you are experiencing pain right at the beginning of intercourse. Is this right?

Intercourse can be painful if you are not highly aroused before you begin. This page is great for figuring out if this is the case From OW! to WOW!. There is also great information that can help you figure out if seeing your doctor is in order.

Periods can jump around a bit and many things can affect them - diet, exercise, stress etc. It can be perfectly normal for your period to show up a little late or a little early sometimes. Are you experiencing anything else of concern at the moment?

You mentioned that you didn't use a condom. Are you concerned about STD transmission? Have you and you partner been tested?

--------------------
Haleigh

Posts: 176 | From: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anieke5656
Neophyte
Member # 97424

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anieke5656     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi! Thank you for responding. And yes, I had a post earlier asking about painful intercourse. After a few responses with one of your staff, I no longer received a response, haha. But I looked at the page and I am not nervous, I am highly aroused, etc. etc.

As for any outside factors, I found am eating less because I am working full time and taking a summer class. And if I do eat, they aren't always meals. I have class in the mornings, and then work until 9:30 at night. My sleep hasn't really changed, though I can feel really tired every other day. I try and catch up on sleep on the weekends because I know my body needs it. However, I don't really feel stressed, as least to the degree that I would normally be if I was stressed out.

As for STD, I have been tested though it was late 2012, and came back clean. As for my partner, I have been meaning to ask. Though he has not told me otherwise and we are very open and honest.

Posts: 23 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anieke5656
Neophyte
Member # 97424

And as for the bleeding, it seems to have stopped? I'm not sure if it's for now or for good.
Haleigh H
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 103145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haleigh H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anieke5656 it sounds like your diet has changed a bit and you're having a busy summer, this could cause your period to arrive early or late. The general rule is to keep an eye on it for three months and if it is still irregular to see your doctor.

If you are feeling highly aroused (from OW! to WOW! has a great description) and there is still pain it may be a sign that something else is going on and seeing a doctor would be in order.

If your sexually active it's a good idea to get tested regularly and I would really encourage you to bring this up with your partner. Depending on where you live there is likely a clinic where you can get free or affordable testing done.

What do you think?

--------------------
Haleigh

Posts: 176 | From: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.