Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Just another period question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Just another period question
worriestoomuch
Neophyte
Member # 107612

Icon 1 posted      Profile for worriestoomuch         Edit/Delete Post 
So on June 9, I finally got my period. The first three days were really heavy, and I had cramping the first two days. This is how my period normally starts. However, by the fourth day I was only bleeding slightly. It seemed at times I wasn't bleeding then an hour or so later I was bleeding. It is now the fifth day of my period and a few hours ago I was bleeding alot but now I am barely bleeding. Usually by the fifth day I am having some clots but I haven't had any. Is this normal? What would cause my period to change randomly. I am not sure if this is my period for last month since I skipped or what. I have already asked you about pregnancy risks and you told me that I was not under a risk of becoming pregnant. So my question is what causes your period to randomly change on you?
Posts: 33 | From: United States | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In a whole lot of ways, our menstrual cycles are like your moods: they can, and often do, change pretty regularly over a lifetime and why they change is usually based on a whole bunch of things, not just one thing.

Because your body, and how you live in it -- including how old you are, what kind of general health you;re in, how you sleep, how you eat, what's going on with the endlessly-changing hormones of the body, etc. -- is in constant flux, menstrual cycles can change, too.

As as the years and decades go on, you'll usually observe many different changes with them. This might just be the first time you have so far, that's all.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
worriestoomuch
Neophyte
Member # 107612

Thanks! I figured it was normal for it to change. It just makes me worry (hence my user name). One more question I have to ask if you don't mind. What would cause a person to bleed alot for a few hours and then barely bleed at all?
Posts: 33 | From: United States | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I assume you don't mean bleed, but you mean have menstrual flow for a few hours and then not?

Really, the issue is that you have flow, as you're having it, mostly both due to gravity and uterine contractions. The gravity is a constant, the uterine contractions, not so much.

Chances are good this has happened to you before, because this is generally how it does happen, you just haven't been watching your flow quite so closely before because you weren't concerned about it like you are now.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
worriestoomuch
Neophyte
Member # 107612

Hmm I never thought about that. You are probably right. I never really paid much attention to it until now since I skipped a period. Thanks for your help
worriestoomuch
Neophyte
Member # 107612

Ok so my period lasted about 6 days. It was really heavy for three, and the other three days was just a very light flow. Yesterday, I started to notice a very light brown stretchy discharge. I figured this was just my body's way of cleaning everything out. However, now I am experiencing a slight twinge in my left abdominal side. I am not quite sure if it is my ovary or what. It is not really painful, just annoying. Would you just consider this a normal symptom of my menstrual cycle? I have talked to my mom and she told me it was normal. What do you think?
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cramping or discomfort at any point in your cycle isn't unusual. It might also be helpful to remember that it's not just your ovaries and uterus in your abdomen, but many of your other organs as well. Abdominal pain or discomfort can also be from the digestive system.

As Heather said above, it could well be that you've experienced all of these things before, and you're just more aware of them now and are noticing them more.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
worriestoomuch
Neophyte
Member # 107612

Thanks for all your help. Sometimes I think I am crazy asking all of these questions but it helps to talk about it. Would you mind if I asked another question? I have heard that it is normal for you to have frequent urination before, during, and after your period. Is this true and if so why? I know you have told me that I am in no risk for pregnancy, but I keep telling myself what if this is a symptom of being pregnant.
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, more frequent urination can be from the pressure put on the bladder by bloating, tense muscles, and other changes in the lower abdominal area which accompany periods for many people.

There are lots of reasons for frequent urination, including just having to urinate more more on any given day, and when there is no risk of pregnancy, it isn't logical to attribute frequent urination to that.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
worriestoomuch
Neophyte
Member # 107612

Ok thank you so much [Smile] I am going to try and stay of google. It just makes me stress over everything.
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Sounds like a good plan. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.