Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Terrified

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Terrified
whiskeybravo
Neophyte
Member # 96179

Icon 4 posted      Profile for whiskeybravo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys. So about a month ago, I started having the constant urge to urinate. I went to the doctor and he said I had a urinary tract infection. He gave me cipro and it went away for a while. Then about two weeks ago, I started having that constant urge to urinate again. I called the doctor and he gave me doxycyclin. It went away again. Then tonight I had to pee and when I did, a yellowish, whitish discharge came out. I have only had sex once in my life. It was about six months ago and I used a condom for all genital contact. Well it turns out that this girl was just using me. We have no contact now and im still pretty heartbroken. Anyway, ive been reading on the internet that having that discharge means std. I am scared she gave me something. Im afraid the doctor misdiagnosed me. He had me pee in a cup and then told me it was a urinary tract infection, but because of the discharge im scared its an std of some kind. I hope you all can help me.
Posts: 15 | From: New mexico | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi whiskeybravo,

Doctors don't usually order STI (sexually transmitted infection) tests unless it's something their patients specifically discuss with them.

I'm not saying for sure that you do have an STI, but since you did engage in partnered sexual activity it's sound for you to get tested for STIs.

So, since you have been having urinary problems, and you had this discharge, I'd advise making an appointment to see your doctor, explaining all your symptoms, requesting STI tests, and then just going from there.

I know this is scary, but if you see your doctor and they conduct their tests, they'll be able to help.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskeybravo
Neophyte
Member # 96179

Icon 1 posted      Profile for whiskeybravo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So if worst comes to worst, and it is an sti, what stis are typically associated with that. Im pretty clueless. Sex ed was horrible growing up.
Posts: 15 | From: New mexico | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a rundown of STIs and the sexual activities they're associated with.

STI Risk Assessment: The Cliff's Notes

What I'd suggest is making an appointment with your doctor, telling him about the discharge and about any sexual activity (not just intercourse) that you've engaged in, and your doctor and you can figure out together which tests you need.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskeybravo
Neophyte
Member # 96179

Icon 1 posted      Profile for whiskeybravo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok. Well let me just say, that you guys do a good thing on here. It sure helps a lot of people who may not have had very good sex ed. It seemed like the way they taught it at my school was to try to scare you half to death and some of what they said, I have learned was exaggerated to heck. Anyway I thank you for what you do.
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

You're so welcome.

If you feel like you need more information to help fill in the gaps from the poor education you received, please don't hesitate to ask, or to look around our site for articles to read. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

whiskeybravo
Neophyte
Member # 96179

Well now that you mention it, I read about condom failure. It said that if a condom did not break or slip off, then it did not fail. The one I used did niether of those things. However if im at risk for sti here then it must have failed even though it did not break or slip off. Can you shed some light on that because clearly I do not understand.
whiskeybravo
Neophyte
Member # 96179

Well now that you mention it, I read about condom failure. It said that if a condom did not break or slip off, then it did not fail. The one I used did niether of those things. However if im at risk for sti here then it must have failed even though it did not break or slip off. Can you shed some light on that because clearly I do not understand.
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Sure.

That's correct that if the condom didn't break or slip off then it didn't fail.

Some STIs can b transmitted by skin-to-skin contact. So, even if there was no fluid contact, there's still skin-to-skin contact when engaging in intercourse and using a condom.

Even if you hadn't mentioned the discharge, I still would have asked if you'd been tested for STIs, as that's just part of good sexual healthcare once a person starts engaging in sexual activities with a partner.

--------------------
Robin

whiskeybravo
Neophyte
Member # 96179

Ok I get it. Cool man. Thank you. That actually cleared it right up. I talked to my doctor about an hour ago. He said hes certain it isnt std, and he said even if it was that what he gave me would be treating it also. He said it was just a god aweful uti. He prescribed me a medicine to pick up later today and told me not to worry. Im glad I called him. And I thank you all for your advice.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.