Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » What has EC done to my cycle? And what are my chances of pregnancy?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What has EC done to my cycle? And what are my chances of pregnancy?
sarahbeara91
Neophyte
Member # 107473

Icon 11 posted      Profile for sarahbeara91     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had my period from March 22-March 30. On April 2, I had sex using the pull-out method. To be completely on the safe side, I took Next Choice One-Step as soon as possible, which was around 60 hours after the encounter (April 5).

On April 11, I experienced some moderate bleeding that lasted until April 16. Then, on April 22, I started bleeding again...and this time, I had the cramps and extreme thirst that typically come along with my period. The bleeding stopped on April 26, which made it about three days shorter than my periods normally are. My actual period due date was April 24.

Although I knew how stupid I was being, I had sex using the pull-out method again on April 27. Around 36 hours later, on April 29, I took Plan B One-Step.

I experienced more moderate bleeding from May 4-May 7 (today). Really, there hasn't been much coming out today, but when I checked my cervical mucus, it was tinted with blood...up until about 30 minutes ago, at least. I first checked at a little after 6 a.m., and it is now shortly before 4 p.m.

What I am really wondering about is whether the first episode of bleeding that I experienced unexpectedly (April 11-16) was simply a side-effect of the Next Choice or if it was my new period. Also, was the most recent bleed (May 4-today) simply a Plan B side-effect, or a "reset" menstrual cycle?

And, of course, I'm still very concerned about the possibility of being pregnant. I kind of feel like I may be in the clear since I took the Plan B so quickly and mos tlikely wasn't even very fertile to being with at the time that I had sex, but even so...it is still something that I am worried about.

I contacted my local Planned Parenthood today and was told that I should consider the April 22-26 bleed as my normal period and the other episodes of bleeding as EC side-effects. Does this information sound correct to you?

I calculated my average cycle based on the belief that my last period was April 22 and found that I have a 31-day cycle with an expected ovulation on May 8 and an expected next period on May 23.

On the other hand, if the Planned Parenthood representative was incorrect, I have a 26-day cycle with an expected ovulation on May 17 and an expected next period on May 30.

Can you tell me which is right? And what are the chances of me being pregnant or becoming pregnant as a result of the sex on April 27? When should I take a pregnancy test to determine if Plan B worked?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!! ")

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is simply no way we can determine if you were having bleeding due to your period or as a side effect of Plan B. We really can't ever know that: there's just no way to tell.

We also can't know which your "right" cycle is. The only way any of us can figure out what our cycles are like is by observing them over time, ideally years, rather than months.

Answers to these kinds of questions basically ask us to be psychic, which, alas, we're not. (A bummer for everyone, including us.)

Ultimately, you can take a pregnancy test and expect accurate results as soon as a) a period you expect is missed or late, and/or b) it's been around 2-3 weeks since your last risk.

Were you able to talk with someone at Planned parenthood about better options for you to prevent pregnancy moving forward? If nothing else, were they able to talk with you about using and negotiating condoms?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.