Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Coughing/Sneezing

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Coughing/Sneezing
stayclassy812
Activist
Member # 100896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stayclassy812     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This may seem like something so far fetched although I don't know how best to calm a friend of mine of her worries. My friend is on the pill and she's been sick with the cold recently. After taking her pill, she was coughing and sneezing and is under the impression that its possible to somehow bring the pill back up again through a cough/sneeze. It wasn't like she was spitting out sputum with the cough or anything light that. Just a cough with a itchy/sore throat and a normal sneeze.

I told her that only diarrhea and vomiting could do that, as it is tied in with the digestive system and coughing and sneezing are connected with the respiratory system and they're two different things.

Could you please shed some light on this slightly weird issue? Thanks!

Posts: 81 | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allie R
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 102566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Allie R     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would tell her what you've already told her- the pill is traveling down her esophagus, which is part of the digestive system. Her cold symptoms pertain to her respiratory system. The pill dissolves, so unless she was experiencing vomiting or diarrhea- like you said- she has nothing to worry about.

She could read the manual that came with her pills (which will tell her that vomiting or diarrhea may decrease effectiveness) or speak to a doctor if she's not budging, though.

Hope this helps!

--------------------
AAR

Posts: 109 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your explanation to your friend is exactly what I would have told you to tell her, so, there's really not anything more I can add to this. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stayclassy812
Activist
Member # 100896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stayclassy812     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much, I wasn't sure if what I said was correct but it was something I learned in class and just applied it to the situation! I wanted to doublecheck in case I was giving the wrong information!

so long as she swallows the pill, then only diarrhea and vomiting could bring it up right--its ok to cough after she swallows the pill? because I know when one swallows, the epiglottis closes the entrance to the larynx preventing food from entering the lungs--thus preventing the two systems from mixing.

Posts: 81 | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allie R
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 102566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Allie R     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds about right, good job! [Smile]

--------------------
AAR

Posts: 109 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.