Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Negative blood test 3 weeks after sex - can I rest?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Negative blood test 3 weeks after sex - can I rest?
Clara Taylor
Activist
Member # 101830

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Clara Taylor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everyone, so here's my story:

I'm a 21 year old healthy girl. I was on the combined pill last month. Unfortunately, on week 2, I forgot two pills and took them a good few hours late. The first one was taken 8 hours late and only two days later, I forgot another pill and took it 11 hours late. The leaflet says the pills are effective if taken less than 12 hours late but since there were two of them, I was really worried. I had sex the night I forgot the second pill. I was supposed to take it then but only took the next morning. From there on, I didn't have sex again, obviously.

This was about 4 weeks ago. Ever since, I've experienced some syptoms and did a ridiculous number of tests. Here's the timeline for your assessment:

- 5 days after sex, I experienced unusual spotting in the morning with my breats being a little tender.
- 8 days after sex, I requested a beta HCG blood test and it was negative at <1.
- 12 days after sex, I experienced some more spotting and requested a second beta HCG blood test. Negative again at <1.
- I had my period/bleeding 14 days after sex, as expected. It was kind of lighter and shorter than usual. I had heavy bleeding with live blood and clots during the first and second days and then not so much blood during the third and fourth days. Until the sixth day, it was just spotting.
- 19 days after sex, I had another blood beta HCG done, in a different lab and it was negative again at <2.
- 20 days after sex, I went to see a GO and she did an ultrasound that showed no signs of pregnancy: the uterine cavity was empty.
- 21 days after sex, I did yet another beta HCG and it came back negative at <1.2
- 25 days after sex - today - I did a very sensitive urine HPT - Early Response, sensitive to 12.5 hcg in urine - and it was clear negative.

I know all of these tests make me sound paranoid but I've read online that a pregnancy can take quite a long time to be detected and that some women conceive only 5 days after intercourse and implant only 12 days after that or more. My question is: do you think there is any chance I can be pregnant or is a beta HCG <1.2 after three weeks conclusive that I'm not pregnant'

Posts: 60 | From: london | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI Clara Taylor and welcome to Scarleteen,

I first want to check with you: Is Clara Taylor your legal name? If so, we ask that people here use non-identifying usernames to protect their privacy.

Regarding the differences you noticed with your withdrawal bleed (which is what we call monthly bleeding for someone who is on the pill), it's not at all uncommon for the rate of bleeding and duration of the bleed to vary from month to month. Even with the hormonal birth control, other factors can affect the withdrawal bleed making it come a little earlier or later each month, sometimes be heavier or lighter, sometimes last longer or shorter, etc.

Since you had blood tests, you likely went to the doctor or to a clinic to have these done. They would be the best people to ask whether the test results are conclusive since they were the ones to conduct the tests. Have you been able to share your fears with your healthcare providers?

Having said that, negative pregnancy tests three weeks after a risk, plus the arrival of a withdrawal bleed or period when one expects it, are both clear indications that pregnancy did not occur.

[ 01-13-2013, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: Robin Lee ]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clara Taylor
Activist
Member # 101830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clara Taylor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Robin and thank you for your answer.

I saw five different doctors. The first one, who ordered the test only 8 days after the risk, told me he really didn't think the late pills could pose a threat to the contraceptive's efficacy. I read online, though, that only 8 days after a risk was way too early for results to be conclusive so I went to see a different doctor 12 days after ther risk. He shared the same opinion and when he saw the result, he sent me home saying he didn't even need to bother to repeat the test. The third doctor, 19 days after the rsisk was not a GO but he also discarded pregnancy. The fourth was a GO and said it was highly unlikely, given the non-pregnant ultrasound and the negatie blood test. The fifth also said the chance was seriously minimal.

I am still very worried, though, since I have been reading online posts from women whose tests and ultrasounds only came back positive at 9+ weeks. I'm not sure if I can trust their accounts so I wanted to read your opinions, anyway. I'm not sure whether I should request yet another (5th) blood test 4 weeks after the risk.

(no "Clara Taylor" is not my real name!)

Posts: 60 | From: london | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The internet can be a great source of information, but unfortunately, not everything out there is reliable, and there are a lot of anecdotes out there about people whose pregnancies didn't result in a positive test for weeks or months, or who didn't know they were pregnant at all, etc. Ultimately, those stories are just not sound sources of info, and you're much better off relying on information from your healthcare providers.

At this point, having seen five different doctors and with so many negative tests PLUS a withdrawal bleed, it's pretty darn clear that you are not pregnant.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5668 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.