Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » OBGYN visits

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: OBGYN visits
proba435
Neophyte
Member # 98383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for proba435     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it standard to test for pregnancy when a urine or vaginal discharge sample is collected at a gynecologist's office, assuming that the patient is sexually active? Does it vary from doctor to doctor, or is it something that must be requested specifically when such samples are collected? I'm curious about what is usually determined or measured from those samples, and if pregnancy is usually something that a gynecologist checks for.

Thanks for your time!

--------------------
No Signature

Posts: 8 | From: South Dakota | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If and when a patient has stated that they are or recently have been sexually active in their intake forms, or when asked, then yes, it's typical to test for pregnancy with a GYN exam and STI screening.

But like with any test, when it's something a patient wants, the best bet is for them to ask for it.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
proba435
Neophyte
Member # 98383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for proba435     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for your response. I am in a very similar position to "Ohsoanxious." Though I've known and learned even more about pregnancy, birth control, and pregnancy tests, I too can't move beyond the fear that I may be four months pregnant. I know I likely need counseling but I am too embarrassed to talk about this with anyone. When I even think about telling my story out loud, I feel ridiculous.

I have reasons for thinking I might be pregnant, for example, I experience breast pains that I'd never experienced before; the color of my withdrawal bleed has been different these last two times then it used to be; I've been feeling very hot even though I tend to always be cold; and the biggest one that haunts me is that the first pregnancy test I took last September resulted in a very faint positive.

I just want to move on with my life and stop wasting time and money trying to convince myself that I'm not pregnant.

In your experience what kind of doctors or stress relief have been most effective for women like me?

--------------------
No Signature

Posts: 8 | From: South Dakota | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi proba! You say you're in a similar position to the user Ohsoanxious -- have you read the discussion she's been having with heather? Did anything heather suggest to her work for you?

Really, the thing that has been most effective for helping people with severe anxiety around pregnancy-that-isn't, is getting some in-person professional care like from a counsellor. Do you want to talk about why you're feeling so embarrassed about this? It's counsellors' jobs to help folks with issues and anxieties they're having in life, and as you're already aware, you're certainly not alone in having this fear. So I'd say any counsellor you have has probably worked with someone with a similar fear to yours.

We have a couple of articles here at scarleteen about going to a counsellor for the first time, which you might find helpful:
Sound Counsel: About In-Person Counseling & Therapy
Shrink Cocktail: My Starter Experience of Counseling

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
proba435
Neophyte
Member # 98383

I mentioned feeling embarrassed because I strongly believe I know all of the facts surrounding pregnancy, reproductive system, etc., yet I still have all of this anxiousness about being pregnant. Another way of saying it is that I'm embarrassed to admit I have a highly irrational fear of something that likely isn't anything.

Thank you for the two articles. I did read the thread between Heather and Ohsoanxious, and I think the next step for me is to just visit my doctor to discuss pregnancy with her-not just if I am or not, but also to confirm that everything I think I know about this topic is accurate. And if I still find that I need to, I will seek counselling afterwards.

Thank you all for your help, and thank you for this website.

--------------------
No Signature

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, pregnancy is a really big deal, no matter how you slice it.

And if it's not something someone wants or feels ready for, and on top of that, they have any other issues in their current life or upbringing that pile more baggage on unintended pregnancy, then I'd say it's unsurprising when someone feels very afraid of it.

And I think you're going to find that many OB/GYNs completely understand that.

In other words, I don't think you need to feel embarrassed about this. I also think you can talk to those healthcare providers about this, though if things like not engaging in sexual activity or only doing so with two reliable forms of contraception aren't helping, then what they'll probably suggest is counseling, which is the sound thing to suggest in that situation.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
proba435
Neophyte
Member # 98383

Heather, thank you for this website. It's been so invaluable to me. I've contacted my doctor's office and I hope to finally move on with my life.

Thanks for your help also, Onionpie.

--------------------
No Signature

Heather
Member # 3

You're so very welcome. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.