Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Leaking?? What's going on?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Leaking?? What's going on?
pocket_mouse_531
Activist
Member # 75601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pocket_mouse_531     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys! I'm sorry to keep bothering you with questions, but this is very unusual and I just want to make sure everything is okay.

I had a UTI about a week and a half ago, and I finished taking 5 days worth of medication for it on September 28th (last Friday), or somewhere close to that date.

Since then, I've had some strange things happening with my vagina. At first, I was abnormally dry for a few days. There was literally no discharge at all. I wasn't itchy or anything; it was just very dry, and that's unusual for me.

Now, for the past few days, it feels like I am overproducing vaginal discharge! It's slippery and clear and it feels like it's leaking out of me throughout the day. Nothing like this has ever happened to me before. Is this normal?

Could both of these symptoms (first the abnormal dryness, then the abnormal wetness) be caused by the meds that I was taking for my UTI a week ago?

I have also heard that this leaking feeling can occur during pregnancy. I shouldn't have any pregnancy symptoms because I haven't had any kind of sexual contact since August, I have never had vaginal intercourse, and my boyfriend has never ejaculated onto any part of my body. Could this be a pregnancy symptom for other reasons (any other ways I could have gotten pregnant, via fingering with pre-ejaculate, touching a penis then touching myself, etc)?

Posts: 205 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi pocket_mouse! I'm pretty sure we've already explained to you why the kinds of sex you have had are not ones that pose pregnancy risks. And since you have also read the articles we have around pregnancy, you know that pregnancy is just really not an option here.

So, with that off the table -- the only way to really know what's going on here is to talk to a doctor or gynecologist about this. They will be able to properly test and diagnose what's going on and prescribe you any treatment you need, whereas I'm afraid we're not capable of doing that, especially not over the internet [Smile]

So, are you able to get in to see your doctor or a gynecologist anytime soon? If not, do you know of any local walk-in clinics you could use?

[ 10-06-2012, 08:49 AM: Message edited by: Onionpie ]

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Added to what Onionpie said, yes, antibiotics can throw off the vaginal environment.

Again, though, when something feels weird with your body, your doctor is the best person to talk to.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pocket_mouse_531
Activist
Member # 75601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pocket_mouse_531     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in college right now, so the closest thing I have to a doctor is the university health center, which isn't open on weekends [Frown] but I'm hopefully going to go in on Monday.

Is it normal for the meds I took for the UTI to still be affecting me, even a week after I finished taking the meds?

Is it possible that my UTI is actually still going on?

Also, even though I didn't have the kinds of sex which could constitute pregnancy, I'm still worried that I'm pregnant. I really want to understand where these fears come from and why I always feel like something is making me pregnant. Can anyone maybe talk me through this and help me figure out why I'm so scared of it all the time?

Posts: 205 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, well monday should be soon enough -- I don't think this is anything that needs immediate action, waiting a couple of days should be alright.

The time for which antibiotics may continue to affect someone can vary, so it's possible that your changes in discharge were caused by the antibiotics. And sometimes UTIs can continue after antibiotic treatment, if it is a more resistant infection. However, changes in discharge are not typically symptoms of UTIs.

May I ask if this level of anxiety you're having is limited to pregnancy scares, or do you experience fear/worry/anxiety like this around other things in your life as well? Did you grow up in a family environment where you had little support or information regarding sex/sexuality? That can often really deeply affect the way people feel about their sexualities, which is why I'm asking that.

[ 10-06-2012, 09:09 PM: Message edited by: Onionpie ]

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pocket_mouse_531
Activist
Member # 75601

Thanks!

Also, sometimes I can't tell if what I'm leaking is excess discharge or urine. If I'm leaking urine, what does that indicate?

I do still occasionally feel some discomfort and irritation similar to when I had the UTI, so maybe I still have it? Should I get that checked out?

Honestly, anxiety does permeate a lot of areas of my life. However, nothing scares me more than the fear of becoming pregnant. Even the possibility of getting an STD is not nearly as scary to me as an unplanned, unwanted pregnancy. And my family, especially my mom, has said that she will support me no matter what. That's why I don't quite understand where my level of anxiety comes from.

I feel that some of it may have to do with my religion. I am Catholic, though in recent years I have struggled with my Catholic faith, identity, and beliefs. One of these things that I struggle with is the notion of abortion. I honestly do not know if I would be strong enough to terminate a child should I become pregnant, but by the same token, I do not know if I would be strong enough to carry the child full-term. I'm worried I would do something drastic, like commit suicide or try to do a self-abortion or something.

I don't have suicidal tendencies or anything. I'm just concerned that if I were to become pregnant, I would view suicide as my only option. My fear of that happening to me could be a cause.

I also have problems with birth control. My other absolute biggest fear in my life is vomiting/nausea. I had a horrible experience with stomach flu at the age of 12 that resulted in me choking on my own vomit and slamming my head pretty hard against a toilet. This incident traumatized me so badly that now, the thought of being nauseous or vomiting paralyzes me and can cause me to shake uncontrollably in fear. For this reason, I have not wanted to take the pill, because I have heard that it will cause nausea that lasts for months, and I simply cannot endure that.

Because I'm afraid of taking the most basic form of birth control, I'm obviously not protected, and therefore I feel like I will become pregnant. I haven't had vaginal intercourse; I have not had direct genital-to-genital contact with my boyfriend; and my boyfriend has never ejaculated in, on, or near my vagina. I know intellectually that for these reasons, it is nearly impossible for me to become pregnant. Yet I still fear that the little things that I've done (touching pre-cum then touching myself, etc) will somehow cause me to become pregnant.

Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

It's pretty unlikely that you're leaking urine -- that tends to be something that happens for older adults, from things like having given birth vaginally, or just the general weakening of the muscles around your urethra. However, if you think that is what this is, you can talk to your doctor about it and they'll be able to find out what it is.

Have you been making sure to drink a lot of water throughout the day? If you don't drink enough water, your urine gets more concentrated and irritates your urethra when you urinate, which is a similar feeling to a UTI. Also, drinking less water than you should also increases the risks of UTIs, so if you don't drink enough it can make your UTI come back. If you have been keeping up your intake of water, though, and you're feeling this irritation, it certainly is possible that your UTI didn't go away completely, and that would be something to discuss with your doctor.

Have you ever considered seeking some in-person help for your anxiety, like a counsellor? A lot of people who have more general anxiety also find that sex and sexuality triggers some extreme anxiety for them, and counselling can really help people learn how to work through and cope with their anxieties. It does sound like your catholic faith might have influenced your fear around pregnancy, that is fairly common. That is also something you could discuss with a counsellor/psychologist. What do you think -- do you think counselling is a workable option for you?

You know, nausea isn't a universal symptom of the birth control pill -- not everyone experiences it. I personally have never experienced nausea from the pill. And for those who do experience it, it is often very mild nausea, though there are certainly some people who experience more extreme nausea and other side effects. It's all very individual, so there's no way of knowing how you would respond to the pill.

However, the pill isn't the only kind of birth control you can rely on. Have you checked out this article? Birth Control Bingo! There are many options you can consider -- for example, the mini-pill is often reported as having less extreme side-effects than the combined pill -- and I suggest looking through that article and discussing your birth control options with your doctor, explaining the kinds of things you're looking for (including what symptoms you just cannot deal with!).

pocket_mouse_531
Activist
Member # 75601

I've definitely been trying to drink more water for this past week and a half. However, I haven't done so well at drinking enough water for only the past two days. Would that be enough to irritate my bladder all over again?

I'm going to try to go see both a counselor and a doctor tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.

Another reason that I still worry that I could be pregnant is that sometimes, little changes in my body look like symptoms to me. For example, sometimes when I get out of a shower, my nipples look darker, and I've heard that this can be a pregnancy symptom. Or sometimes, I will feel slightly constipated, which I've also heard can be a pregnancy symptom. Especially in these last two months, for whatever reason I haven't been certain that my periods were actually periods. Do you think you could help me understand why?

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whenever thinking about whether one is pregnant or not, it's first important to think about whether one has had a true pregnancy risk.

It's also important to remember that *not* getting one's period is what *most* women experience as their first sign (symptom, if you will) of pregnancy. The things you're describing--nipple darkening and constipation, are not in themselves signs of pregnancy. IN other words, if one didn't already know that one was pregnant, one would have no reason to attribute those things to pregnancy. Does that make sense?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pocket_mouse_531
Activist
Member # 75601

Yeah, I totally understand what you're saying! I was just wondering if you could maybe help me understand why I'm experiencing this anxiety to such a high degree.

Also, part of the reason I feel anxious is that I feel like I can't tell if something's my period, or an irregular vaginal bleed. How does one tell the difference?

Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

If it walks like a period and talks like a period, then by golly, it is a period! [Razz] And what I mean by that is -- if it comes when your period is due, and lasts for as long as your period usually does, and is as heavy as your period usually is, then you can trust that it's your period.

Firstly, any irregular bleeding associated with pregnancy is RARE, so most women do not experience ANY bleeding when they are pregnant. Secondly, for those who DO get bleeding during their pregnancy, it usually looks very different to their period -- it doesn't come at the right time, or it lasts a lot shorter time, or it's a lot lighter in flow.

Make sense?

pocket_mouse_531
Activist
Member # 75601

Yes, it does make sense [Smile] thanks for your patience with me!

So I went to the university health center on Monday and got my urine and vaginal discharge tested. They said everything was fine, but I still sometimes feel bladder irritation, usually in the middle of the night. It doesn't even feel like an irritation of the urethra. It just feels like I'm suddenly ultra-sensitive to my bladder now, and so even if I've just gone to the bathroom, I'll still feel like peeing again will make my awareness and sensitivity to my bladder go away. Does that mean anything?

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

It likely just means that you're more aware of your bladder now because of having that UTI. Often, we can become more aware of parts of our bodies that we weren't at all aware of before. Often when that awareness comes up, taking a deep breath and telling ourselves that we recognize that nothing is wrong can help keep that feeling at the level of awareness and not let it get to the level of anxiety.

Speaking of anxiety, you asked above why you're having this degree of anxiety right now. That's not something we can tell you since we can't look into your brain. [Smile]

Are you having any relationship problems, even just mild ones? How about stress with school or family?

I see above that you haven't engaged in sexual contact since August. I'll still ask though: any anxieties around sex?

The information we're giving you: What impact is that having on your level of anxiety?

--------------------
Robin

pocket_mouse_531
Activist
Member # 75601

I do have some relationship problems, mainly with my insecurity in myself and my consequential jealousy issues.

I am definitely stressed about school! It's my first quarter in college and I'm getting used to the pace of the quarter system.

Yeah, I do still have anxiety about sex [Frown]

I'm really grateful for all the information you've given! Really, it means a lot. It does ease my anxiety some. But I do still get worried.

pocket_mouse_531
Activist
Member # 75601

Also, I had another kind of gross question. I noticed today that when I went to the bathroom, my underwear was lightly stained a slight yellow-y color. However, when I check my vaginal discharge, it appears to be white. What's going on?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.