Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » implanon?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: implanon?
amandalynn27
Neophyte
Member # 96298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amandalynn27     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm currently on loestrin and thinking about getting implanon. Has anyone else done this? How did it go? Do you think being on the pill previously made the hormone situation easier?
Also, I know one of the ways the pill works is by stopping ovulation, so it seems to make sense that an ovulation test in a pill taker would usually be negative, but the ovulation test detects leutenizing hormone, which spikes a day or so before ovulation, not ovulation itself. Does the pill reduce the body's production of leutenizing hormone too, or does the pill kick in more in between the leutenizing spike and ovulation?

Posts: 26 | From: atlanta, ga | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

This forum is for staff and volunteer responses only, so if you'd like to hear other people's experiences with Implanon, try posting that question here:

http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/forum/f/21.html

Luteinizing hormone is part of the ovulation process. Hormonal birth control interrupts the series of signals in the body that send the message to release both luteinizing hormone and follicle stimulating hormone. So, ovulation prediction tests would not be able to detect LH as it has been suppressed as part of suppressing the ovulation process.

You may find this link helpful in explaining how hormonal birth control interacts with this process.

http://health.rush.edu/HealthInformation/In-Depth%20Reports/10/000498.aspx

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amandalynn27
Neophyte
Member # 96298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amandalynn27     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cool, thanks for the link from rush.edu. For kicks, I had been doing the ovulation testing, and it's all been negative. (A positive is where the test line is darker than the control line, negative tests either show only a control line or a lighter second line.) Mine looked different each day, but never darker, so I guess negative is negative.

That said, if I were to do ovulation or pregnancy testing more seriously in the future, like if I wanted to be pregnant: I know first morning urine is the best, if you run out of tests, but save the urine for a few hours until you can buy tests, will they still be accurate if the urine is in a covered container?

Posts: 26 | From: atlanta, ga | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Each test will have testing requirements listed very clearly in the instructions. It really depends on the test whether first morning urine is required; it's not always necessary. Many tests can be taken at any time of day.

Most of the tests do require fresh urine from what I understand. Again, though, you'd have to read the instructions for the particular test you were using.

For now though, you can save your money on those ovulation tests. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.