Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » If only the leaflets accompanying my birth control explained in layman's terms!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: If only the leaflets accompanying my birth control explained in layman's terms!
Xanthism
Neophyte
Member # 97224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xanthism     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd been taking Dianette for half a year, but pretty haphazardly. None of my pills were ever taken 24 hours late, but I know for the last month I was on them I'd take my first at 9 PM (my 'usual' time), then the next maybe at eleven, then around nine again, then at three in the morning, etc. Me and my boyfriend got close two days into my pill-free week, as I hadn't started my period by then, but there was more than likely no cum around me. I got a little worried by my pill-taking schedule (although the leaflet that came along with them said to just take one as soon as you remember), but the next day (after talking about it with my mum) I started my period, and it seemed absolutely normal. I started my next packet after the week was up and made sure I used an alarm to remind me every evening! I was only out on one by three hours when I was out for the night. This was my last pack of Dianette, so when I went to see my doctor, she said she'd change me to Yasmin, and that I shouldn't have a break. The leaflet also said to do this when changing from another combined contraceptive pill, but didn't mention needing to use condoms/another barrier method for seven days (whereas it did state this when explaining how to start taking them if you were on the mini-pill or hadn't used hormonal contraception before). I took the first Yasmin pill three hours later than I wanted, but took the next at nine again. Me and my boyfriend had unprotected sex the next day (my third day of being on Yasmin, it was earlier than nine, however, so I'd only taken two pills), was I right to assume that I was still protected? Many thanks!
Posts: 4 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Xanthism and welcome to Scarleteen,

The chaotic cycle you had doesn't affect anything now, so don't worry about that.

So long as you started the new brand on the same day you would have started the new pack of the old brand you are covered consistently, and 3 hours is not considered late, so everything is fine. The most important thing is to take pills at around the same time of day. If you take them at the same time, that's great for remembering, but an hour or two later than that is also okay.

So, you're just fine. And, you can always add a condom if you feel like you want a greater degree of protection. Plus, condoms help protect you from STI transmission, which is also very important. Have you and your boyfriend both been tested for STIs recently?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xanthism
Neophyte
Member # 97224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xanthism     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you very much for the response and welcome! It's nice to have a bit of reassurance, hahah. And yep, everything is fine!
Posts: 4 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.