Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Birth control pill question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth control pill question
fallenleaf
Activist
Member # 93205

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fallenleaf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I am on Aviane-28, and currently at my second week of active pills for this month. Last month, I took one pill about ten hours late (instead of around 11 PM, I remembered to take it around 9 AM the next morning). Will mess-ups like this from my previous pack or from a pack before then affect my effectiveness now?

Posts: 151 | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No they will not. Only late or missed pills in your current pack will change the effectiveness.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallenleaf
Activist
Member # 93205

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fallenleaf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. Does one to two hours later or one hour early count as "late"?
Also, does that mean that after the seven placebo pills when you have your withdrawal bleed, the effectiveness resets and you have another chance to achieve perfect effectiveness with the next pack?

Posts: 151 | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With combined pills (ones like you're on that have two types of hormones in them) you have about a three hour window either side of your normal time in which to take your pill, and a pill isn't technically considered late until it's at least 12 hours past the usual time you'd take it. So no, one or two hours earlier or later than your usual time is not a big deal.

Per your second question, yep, that's basically it, although there are a couple of exceptions. For example, if you miss the very last active pill in a pack entirely so that your placebo week is longer, then you'd need to use a backup method of birth control for at least the first week of the next pack. And if you take the first pill of a new pack late or miss it entirely, same deal. Does that make sense?

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallenleaf
Activist
Member # 93205

I think so.

In other words, if I had a regular seven-day placebo week before starting this pack, and I've taken all this pack so far on time, I'm at the pack's most effective?

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallenleaf
Activist
Member # 93205

okay! I'm (sorry to ask so many questions but you all are so helpful!!) wondering if vitamin or iron supplements interfere with birth control-- I can't see why they would but I wanted to make sure and couldn't find anything on my pill information sheet.
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We keep a list of things known or strongly suspected to interact with the pill here: Combined Oral Contraceptives (The Pill)

And nope, iron or multivitamin supplements aren't known offenders. As I've said to people before, with basic dietary stuff -- and this counts as that, I'd say -- it helps to bear in mind the diverse diets of people who have been studied when studying the pill's effectiveness. If anything people were to eat or take in typical daily life was decreasing effectiveness, it'd probably be already accounted for in the general effectiveness rates OR singled out for more study if it came up as an issue.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BD22
Neophyte
Member # 96775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BD22         Edit/Delete Post 
HI, I'm simply wondering about something. If we've been on birth control for a little and are starting to run out of bc pills, do we need to call in to our pharmacy or do we just show up with our card? I have Generess Fe birth control and I have the birth control card but I wasn't sure as to whether I needed to call in the order or just simply go to my pharmacy and hand them the card. Thanks!

--------------------
*BD22*

Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Not knowing what kind of card you mean -- public health, private health insurance, a state BC program? -- or what country, state, province or city you're asking about, we couldn't possibly say. All of this varies a lot.

But who WILL know is your pharmacy, so what you should do to find this out is to call in and ask them. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.