Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » What exactly does "around the same time every day" mean?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What exactly does "around the same time every day" mean?
Kabith
Activist
Member # 95148

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kabith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been taking the birth control pill for about 3 months now. My doctor, and the packet, always say "take it at around the same time every day." But that seems like really vague instructions for something so important.

What is that window exactly? I aim to take my pill at 10pm every night. Sometimes I take it at 9:30 if I am super tired and want to sleep, and sometimes I'll take it at 11:30 if I am out on the town and forget to bring it with me. I'm not actively having sex now, so I'm not /super/ concerned with how effective it is /right now/. But I do want to be pro at taking it and taking it right when I do start having sex.

So, how big is the window? An hour before or after your regular scheduled time? Two hours? A half hour?

Thanks for your help!!

Posts: 100 | From: Washington State - USA | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is the birth control pill you're taking a combined pill or a mini-pill?

(I ask because the timing is different between them for proper use, pretty radically.)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67108 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kabith
Activist
Member # 95148

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kabith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still new with the lingo... But combined pill means both hormones, and mini-pill means just one of the hormones, right? If that is the case, I am taking the combined pill (the dosage says 28'S, if that helps at all).
Posts: 100 | From: Washington State - USA | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's the brand name?

--------------------
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67108 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kabith
Activist
Member # 95148

"Sronyx," and after this pack I am switching to a brand called "Lessina," and the dosage on that new one says "levonorgestrel and ethinyl estradiol tablets, USP 0.1 mg/0.02mg", which is supposed to be the same dosage as the current pack I am on. (I recently switched insurance >.<)
Heather
Member # 3

Okay, so yep, a combined pill.

With combined pills, here's the scoop:

1) To help you stay in the habit of taking them and be less likely to forget -- not so much per effectiveness -- you want to take the pill around the same time of day (morning, afternoon, evening), or paired with some kind of daily routine you do about the same time each day.

2) A late pill, with combined pills, is one taken more than 12 hours late per that regular time you take it.

3) A missed pill is one taken more than 24 hours after that regular time you take it.

To keep your pill as effective as possible, taking it right timing-wise and not forgetting to take it at all are key, so the way you have been taking it is great. It's ideal to stick to around the same time.

But if you ever space out, if it's before that 12 hour difference, you're still good.

if you ever miss (more than 24), you want to follow the directions on your patient info leaflet that comes with your pill for making up missed pills.

Also, if you don't plan to already, dual contraception -- backing up one method with another -- is the absolute best way to use contraception to best prevent pregnancy. And, of course, STIs are also an issue, so backing up with condoms not only gives you that protection, it's a great method to pair with your pill to help prevent pregnancy as best you can.
All good?

--------------------
About MeGet our book!

Kabith
Activist
Member # 95148

Alright, so as long as I take my pill sometime after dinner and before I go to bed, then I am not losing any efficiency? That is what I wanted to check!

And yes, I totally agree, condoms are a go for me too [Smile] I just want to make sure that I am using all of my methods correctly. Thank you so much for clearing that up!

Heather
Member # 3

Yep!

--------------------
About MeGet our book!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.