Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Sperm on towel?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sperm on towel?
guamboy
Neophyte
Member # 96043

Icon 11 posted      Profile for guamboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, I would like to thank you guys here at Scarleteen for such an amazing job. Scarleteen is such a useful tool for people of all ages.

Onto my situation: I masturbated one afternoon, and I was cleaning up my semen. There was semen on my thumbs and I proceed to the bathroom to wash my hands. I witnessed the white globs of semen go down the drain. Then I used a soap bar to wash my hands for about 5-10 seconds total. At this point, I began to think what if a female member of my household used the bar of soap or touched something I touched, so I removed the bar of soap that I used and replaced it with a brand new bar. However, I don't remember if I used the towel in the bathroom to dry my hands after I washed them. About 5-10 minutes after I washed my hands and *possibly* used the towel, my sister came home and used the bathroom. The first thing she did was wash her hands thoroughly and then she dried them with the towel that was hanging in the bathroom. After she had washed her hands, she had to defecate. I guess she took about 5-10 minutes to do so.

Could my sister fall pregnant from any residual sperm left on the faucet handles? Or if I really did use the same towel that she used to dry her hands, could any sperm be transferred to her hands and get her pregnant from using the bathroom? Was washing my hands with soap and water for 5-10 seconds enough to kill all of the sperm?

I have read your "Pregnancy Scared" and "The Simple and Underrated Art of Washing Your Hands" articles, but I would like to have a professional opinion for my exact situation.

Thanks and sorry for such a long post!

Posts: 4 | From: Guam | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to ST, Guamboy! Thank you for the compliments!

I am going to link you to an article that details how getting pregnant works. That should help you understand better why the situation you desecribe does not present a risk.
Where DID I Come From? A Refresher Course in Human Reproduction

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
guamboy
Neophyte
Member # 96043

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guamboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the quick response! I have read that article a couple of times the past months.

So combining the information I have read...
1. Washing hands would have killed/removed any sperm from my hands
2. Sperm would not have made it to the towel, let alone survive the transfer from towel to hand to toilet paper to cervix?

Is this correct? Would you say that I have no pregnancy risk what so ever?

Posts: 4 | From: Guam | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep! Those statements are correct.

There's no pregnancy risk from that situation.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
guamboy
Neophyte
Member # 96043

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guamboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Joey! Thanks for all your help. You've helped me indirectly so many times by reading other people's posts.

Additionally, could you help clarify why the sperm would not survive to the towel?

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Sperm are very delicate and need a very specific environment to survive. This environment is provided by the ejaculatory fluid. Once the ejaculatory fluid dries or is soaked up (as by a towel), the sperm are no longer viable.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

guamboy
Neophyte
Member # 96043

Oh, I see. But washing my hands prior to using the towel would mean no sperm was on my hands that could be transferred to the towel in the first place? Is this correct?
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's correct, as washing hands would get rid of any sperm cells that were on your hands. However, towels really are irrelevant to causing pregnancy, anyway.

For more information on that last part, see this: http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/10/t/002477/p/1.html#000000 for what is a pregnancy risk and what isn't.

--------------------
'Obtain the virgin's consent before you marry her' - Prophet Mohammad (pbuh)

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.