Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » bf may have hpv?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: bf may have hpv?
meladie
Neophyte
Member # 43025

Icon 1 posted      Profile for meladie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so i'm with a guy right now. we have used condoms for intercourse but not oral. i asked him about stds when we first started having sex and he said he was clean.

a few months after we'd been sexually active he brings up the topic of getting me on bc so we could forgo condoms. then he tells me he could have hpv. his last gf apparently had it and he had unprotected sex with her anyway.

of course i was livid. this was unfair and dishonest. i'm now on the depo shot for other reasons. what is the likelihood that he could be infected? it's stupid for me to have unprotected sex, right? he was tested last week and came in clean, but guys can't be tested for hpv. not sure what to do here. i take health really seriously and i don't want to take chances.

Posts: 15 | From: indiana | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ideally, before we have unprotected sex with a partner, we want to at least talk about their 9and our) STI history and history with testing. Even better, to do the best we can with STI prevention, we want to use barriers for any oral, anal or vaginal sex for at least the first six months, and if we are exclusive during that time, then each get tested again, and only then talk about going without barriers. So, yes, you took risks here.

Mind, HPV is one of the two STIs where barriers still offer a lot of protection, but more like 70%, versus the 90% or so they offer from infections transmitted by fluids, and where a barrier not covering the whole genital area isn't an issue. So, even with protection, you'd have been at risk -- just like with any partner, not just thins one -- but far less of one.

You're right: he can't be tested for HPV. HPV is so common, any of us should always figure we're at risk of getting it if we haven't already, but in this case, its clear you have been and will be, should you keep having sex with this person, taking high risks, given the history and his not using barriers in the past. If you do change your habits and use barriers with him -- including for oral -- you radically reduce your risks, but you'll have some risk, still.

So, what do you want to do?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67104 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.