Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » false negative?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: false negative?
amg2012
Neophyte
Member # 95726

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amg2012     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi I was just wondering if my girlfriend took a pregnancy test 4 weeks after our sexual encounter, the odds of it being a false negative?...The reason I worry, is that she just switched to lo loestrin fe last month and she missed her period...the nurse said it's common for people to miss on lo loestrin fe, but it's still scary...thanks
Posts: 30 | From: CO | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If she followed the directions on the pregnancy test, then by all means, with that timing her results should have been accurate.

If she still doesn't see any spotting of any kind in another week or two, she can retest. If only her pill was used as contraception and she did not take it properly at any time in that cycle, or when switching brands, took longer than the one-week placebo period, I'd advise retesting, since pregnancy would be a greater risk in those situations.

But the nurse is right: on any new pill, even if switching brands, having some wonkiness with withdrawal bleeds for a couple cycles of the pill is typical.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amg2012
Neophyte
Member # 95726

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amg2012     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you think the lateness could be due to the fact she only has two hormone-free pills with lo loestrin Fe?
Posts: 30 | From: CO | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amg2012
Neophyte
Member # 95726

I guess what concerns me the most, is the fact that she took her nuvaring out one day early, started her normal period, and started lo loestrin on the day she would've reinserted the nuvaring...our sexual encounter was on the first day of that period...(and she started the loestrin one day early due to the fact she took her nuvaring out one day early)...I guess I'm wondering how much is being compromised by removing the nuvaring one day early?...thanks for your patience ...I'm just scared
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Certainly if she shortened the active period with her ring, there is cause for concern, especially if you two aren't backing up with a second method, like condoms. In other words, that can create a bigger risk, for sure, than using the method properly.

So, again, I'd say if she doesn't see a withdrawal bleed or spotting in another week or two, I'd advise she retest.

And if you're not backing up, since pregnancy is clearly a concern for you and doesn't sound like something you want, you might consider adding condoms to your repetoire, okay?

--------------------
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amg2012
Neophyte
Member # 95726

We only had manual, with hands, but I keep thinking about pregnancy because of the missed period [Frown]
Heather
Member # 3

Well, she can miss her period all she wants, but if you're not having the kind of sex that can create a pregnancy -- and manual sex, with hands only, isn't it -- then a pregnancy can't occur.

--------------------
About MeGet our book!

amg2012
Neophyte
Member # 95726

So do you think since we had sexual contact the night she got her period, then took a test 4 weeks later, the results should be accurate? Thank you so much for your time...
amg2012
Neophyte
Member # 95726

So do you think since we had sexual contact the night she got her period, then took a test 4 weeks later, the results should be accurate? Thank you so much for your time...
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi amg. The results should be accurate since your girlfriend took the test over 14 days after the risk; however, as heather said, it would be a good idea to re-test in a couple of weeks just to make sure, since her birth control's effectiveness was compromised.
Posts: 1298 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amg2012
Neophyte
Member # 95726

Thanks onionpie ....does it matter if we just used our hands?...should she take another? I feel so dumb.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.